Existing Member?

Letters from Random Places

Parting Thoughts on Sydney

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 10 August 2007 | Views [840]

I might get lynched for saying this (especially by ex-pat Aussies – but mind you if they’re ex-pat then probably don’t like it either), but I wasn’t crazy about Sydney. I don’t mind people slagging off Glasgow or London, in fact I’ll join in. Overall Sydney is a very manageable city in terms of getting around and having many things in walking distance. It reminds me of a cross between San Francisco and London, with the bay and the bridge but also like London in terms of the Anglo influence. They have Wagamama (restaurant chain from Europe/UK) which I like. The other thing reminiscent of London is the completely Byzantine maze of one way streets, no left/no right turn, no entry etc. I didn’t drive in the city much at all but at times I felt like sobbing on the steering wheel, and seriously considered abandoning the car, saying screw it and reporting it stolen.

Happy, Very Happy

Everyone is very friendly and helpful. The service in the hotel was excellent. Occasionally the Aussies become exceptionally exuberant in their enthusiasm for just about anything or everything. They're a very positive lot. For a frequently anti-social, often surly, impatient pain the ass such as myself with a dark and sarcastic side, and left over issues from a dour Scottish upbringing – exuberance can be hard to digest and I wondered what was in the drinking water causing such disturbing behavior. So I stuck to bottled.

Oh and they LOVE the beach. Like LOVE THE BEACH. I got some odd looks when I said I was going to the mountains for a couple of days. Given the Anglo background of many Aussies, the genetic pasty and freckly skin really wasn’t engineered to live at the beach. Someone should tell them.

Let Them Drink Beer

They love their beer. But they also have some decent wine with some really nice Pinot Noirs (many from NZ) and of course a large selection of decent Shiraz which is kind of their signature wine.

Let Them Eat Cake

While I was there interest rates were raised and the country was in uproar. It was very interesting and surprising. The US gets grumbly about interest rate hikes but it also increases saving returns. The Aussies were ready to tear up cobblestones (if they had any and if they were French) and start throwing them at the Prime Minister. One of the guys I met explained that the Aussies are somewhat obsessed with the dream of homeownership and having the trappings of what makes them appear “affluent”, perhaps reminiscent of their somewhat hedonistic tendencies of a quite young population. As a result many are mortgaged to the hilt living beyond their means and don’t put as much as emphasis as they should on saving and financial planning. For a Schwabbie who is brainwashed into saving for retirement this seemed pretty irresponsible and destined for a short sharp correction in the future.

DUBYA

The poor buggers are also getting subjected to El Presidente George W Bush in a few weeks for the APEC summit. They got stuck with Cheney a while back which was bad enough. Apparently Sydney is mostly getting shut down and it has been suggested that locals leave if they can. They even gave the police special powers that suspend some civil rights. Quite extreme. Leave it to Dubya to bring life and soul to the party. What a loser. DO NOT GO TO SYDNEY DURING THE APEC SUMMIT!!!

Virgins - "Please Hold Hands for Take-off"

Virgin Blue is about 7 years old in Sydney and is a pretty snazzy airline. They have a bunch of brand spanking new 737-800s with live satellite TV (A$10), nice leather seats, and a very pleasant and entertaining cabin crew – I didn’t mind that at all – “Cabin Crew please be seated and hold hands for takeoff” – that was cute. The 737-800 can be a bit of a nightmare for boarding since it is very big with one aisle and 3-3 configuration, but they board from front and back so wasn’t too bad. They have lots of nice options, like the ability to pay reasonable fees for a better or primo seat selection like guaranteed exit row, access to the lounge for a day pass, snacks and drinks for cash for money on the plane but that was fine. Their online site is nice and convenient from my perspective, however since it’s a popular airline the check-in if you have bags is pretty horrendous. So leave plenty of time for that.

So…

So Sydney was a nice place, but really just another big capital city to me. The weather was very good to me for August (late winter) with really, really pleasant sunny days and comfortable evenings. It is worth passing through on the way to somewhere else. I had planned on being there for the week but that would have been WAY too much. The side trip to the Blue Mountains was great and well worth a couple of days and the drive. Very beautiful and starts to give you a sense of how varied the country can be in terms of geography culture and lifestyle. Oh and don’t go to the zoo in the winter. All the animals are sleeping or hiding.

Off to North Queensland on a 2.5 hour flight from Sydney to Cairns. Stay tuned for Queensland and I’m sure some more stories of getting hopelessly lost, getting bitten by something, doing something stupid at least twice, and staying where there is either limited or no Internet access and cell service at a retreat where the plan is to do some reflection and introspection, get centered, learn the path to “Right Thought” and “Right Speech”. Good lord, peace and quiet and introspection. What’s up with that? Will I survive? Will I be forced to finish a book and actually remember what it was about when I finish? All to be revealed.

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.