Existing Member?

Mid Life Crisis - Kilimanjaro 2015 Challenger both Body and Mind

Kilimanjaro – Day Five of the challenge – Kilimanjaro Blog

TANZANIA | Monday, 28 December 2015 | Views [724]

Base Camp

Base Camp

Woke and I knew we were in the arctic zone; well it was obvious all night.

 

Today’s four hour walk to base camp at 15,300 ft. it became clear we were allot higher, the air was allot thinner, it was allot colder and the wash of clouds swept in at 30secs notice. This was also the first day the porters didn't overtake us.

 

I had a big nose bleed half way up, which coupled with the altitude effects ramping up, didn't make this an enjoyable day.

 

I was not feeling like I had a hangover, I was feeling like I had been on a stag weekend. Headache, nauseous and no appetite at all, sense of humor was waning slightly and the thoughts did cross my mind, why am I doing this again?

 

 

The empty bottle of Moet and Chandon perched on a rock at base camp generated a funny feeling. Nerves. This is what its all been about and I felt rough.

 

The tents were not pegged down, more tied to boulders. I have never been to the moon, but from what I have seen, I imagine it looks allot like base camp on Killi. Screed and loose rock was everywhere.

 

We went for an acclimatization walk and then for a sleep from 4.

 

We were woken for tea at 1830; it was already dark and cold. I had a real stiff neck, was sick and was not sure I wanted to even attempt the summit. Nelson said we could all make it, so get some more sleep.

 

I was back up at 11pm and it was a different me; this is what it was all about. I put so much clothes on I could hardly get out the tent.

 

The top of me had a Base layer, walking shirt, thin fleece, thick fleece, soft shell jacket, hard shell jacket. I also had my big down jacket in my bag.

 

Tea and jammy dodgers brought the mojo back, even if it was -10 C and only going to get colder as we went higher. 

 

I tried to hold the nerves back, excited but also scared if I didn't make it to the top, how that would feel. I was happy that this trip was about the journey, but I was also doubting if I could make it to the top, if my body would let me.

 

https://www.justgiving.com/Tony-Mattravers/ 

Tags: challenge, hard work, kilimanjaro, summit, trekking

About tony_mattravers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.