Existing Member?

Mid Life Crisis - Kilimanjaro 2015 Challenger both Body and Mind

NEWS NEWS NEWS – Goals, Plans, Project Management – Kilimanjaro Blog

TANZANIA | Tuesday, 24 February 2015 | Views [696]

Since I started this blog I’ve had a big secret that I have not been able to share, until today.

Everyone needs goals, something to aim towards and strive to achieve and as I have got older, the more I need them. Out of goals and visions, come plans. Anyone that knows me knows I am a qualified Project Manager and love having a plan and completing things in a timely fashion.

Well this afternoon I took my wife to the hospital, for the three month scan of our baby. Yes, I can now announce that we are expecting our second child! Before you start rummaging for a calendar, the due date is 4th September. I know what you are thinking, if it is two weeks late then our baby will arrive only a couple of days before I fly to Africa.

Yes - I did complete the “just in time” project management module…

The reality is for me, that without having booked this trip and set these goals, I would not be going now.

However my loving wife and I are fully committed that everything will stay the same, so there is now even more encouragement for me to get the training in, as I probably will not have the chance to go back again. Not once we have two small children anyway.

How many people watched the Rhod Gilbert video “Rhod Gilbert v Kilimnanjaro”?  if you haven’t had a chance to watch it yet the link is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWSqPfSOLeI

I felt Rhod’s brutal, very honest, storytelling of his experiences whilst climbing Kilimanjaro made it all the more real, the enormity of the task ahead. The video has certainly prompted allot of questions and not many comments of “it is just a walk up a hill” have been received since I mentioned it. It’s a huge test of mental and physical strength, HUGE I now realise.

Please share this blog etc as I am looking for as many people and businesses to sponsor me as possible, so that we can raise as much as possible for Cruse in Somerset, who offer a free Bereavement support service for adults, young people and children in Somerset and the Sherborne area of Dorset for anyone who has been bereaved.

Being parents to a young child, a couple of things happened that made me realise how lucky I was and how not every child is as lucky as Ollie, who due to bereavement, may not have the same family support.

I am passionate about wanting to support Cruse Somerset and can’t wait to meet them in person on Thursday, but  after talking to such wonderful people who fundraise locally and offer our support to everyone, not just children, but adults as well who benefit from the bereavement support offered by Cruse Somerset, I know its going to be some week

https://www.justgiving.com/Tony-Mattravers/

 Thanks

Tags: #charity, #kilimanjaro, #trekking #family

About tony_mattravers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.