Existing Member?

Inaccessible Myanmar Myanmar round trip April 2011

Shin Lu Soe Gyi at the Tarabha gate in Old Bagan

MYANMAR | Sunday, 10 April 2011 | Views [2755]

Our last day in Mandalay. We packed our stuff and didn´t even had the energy to swim in the pool. We were supposed to be picked up at 11:00 by our driver so we finished the stash of beers and sat on the sofas and watched the Mandalay hill. Thanking Gos we didn´t had to walk all the way up the hill again. We waved goodbye to our guide/blue Mazda driver and off we went to Mandalay international airport. Crazy traffic and crazy driving but we made in 1h, door to door. I got tonns of laughs at the airport because of my t-shirt. I bought a t-shirt at the Monsoon restaurant shop in yangon saying: Shin Lu Soe Gyi, Big Bad Man, but since a girl says that (hence the shin) it menas NAUGHTY BOY J. We waited for the chaotic check in where everybody seemd to be dragging our bags to different counters. It seems like they didn´t believe we can hand over the ticket and pull our bags ourselves. Since nothing in this world is free, the crew wanted a small donation for dragging the bags back and fourth...so we gave them some money for their HELP.

A short flight. 25 min later we landed in Bagan! 10 USD entry fee and off we went to our hotel. Red/white painted curbs and clean roads maintained for the visit of No1 looked a bit out of place but what impressed me most was the sheer amount of temples along the road to our hotel in Old Bagan.  I mean...GODDAMIT! THOUSANDS of temples from the size of a tall human to massive huge ones easily compared to the ones around Angor Wat . Massive! I LOVED IT!!!

The drive to the Thiripyitsaya Sakura Hotel was quick. The guide that picked us up with the car was a happy young man so we had tons of laughs on Number 1´s cost J. Political leaders, always an easy target. We booked book the guide for the next day to look at the temples and went for a swim at the hotel pool. Nice river view, tranquil place with distant hills and pagodas on the horizon. Than a horde of some bloody kids came running shouting in Dutch and ruined the fun. So we deserted the pool and rented bicycles and went for a short trip around Old Bagan. A short bike ride took us past some amazing temples, a huge very closed archeological museum that looked misplaced, a small local village close to the old palace site where a water festiwal stage was being built and ... we were out on the other side. We crossed the Tarabha gate. I remembered the kind old English teacher and his love poem about the lover at the gate...Aww :D. So bloody romantic :D. Ah, the first encounter with the horse carts in Bagan! They looked nice. It later showed that sitting in a horse cart that has one axel is not that nice after all.

It was getting dark soon so we grabbed a meal at the Sarababab..or something, just outside the gate. The food was OK but nothing special. At least it was local – we comforted ourselves. The crispy duck was way too salt and the green chili fish was ... too watery. Did not eat there anymore.

While we sat there and ate I read the romantic description of the old gate in the LP guide. That no one passes without offering something to the Nats (old gods) first and that the gate is respected by all. I watched motorbikes wizzed through it like they were chased by the police, I saw bicycles ride by spitting the red betel nut saliva close to it, the horse carts just passed it like nothing happened, the trucks, busses and pick ups just speed right through it. I guess times change quickly.

I found a lackerware shop on the LP guide map in the village behind the restaurant so we tried to find it. We were soon followed by very kind young kids wanting to help us .. kind of...or it showed....they wanted to help us to buy their paintings. They were no so aggressive and we weren´t interested in paintings so they got a nice bike ride and an English lesson instead. We never found the lackerware shop in the end so we rode to the pagoda on the river bank, the Bu pagoda, to look at the sunset. Bought beer and headed back to the hotel. An empty pool to wash off the dust was exactly what we needed.

Tags: bu paya, old bagan, shin lu soe gyi, tarabha gate

About tomaszo


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.