Existing Member?

Inaccessible Myanmar Myanmar round trip April 2011

Botanical gardens in Pyu In Oo - old British hill station

MYANMAR | Saturday, 9 April 2011 | Views [1224]

We wanted to get out of Mandalay for a day. It´s not the best looking city in the world. On top of that, it was very hot and noisy. Also some strange wind blew in last evening and covered everything in fine red dust. So we read about those botanical gardens in an old colonial hill station. Cool gardens up in hills sounded just right.

We hired a car with AC to drive us to the Pyu In Oo for 90 USD. The same driver we had that drove us to U Bein and to airport. Don´t know when they wrote the LP guide but they claimed it´s feasible to get there in a car for 5000 Kyats. We pay 4000 kyat to ride around the city in a cab. Maybe a slow bus or a seat on a pick up truck for a local would cost 5000 Kyat? The drive itself to Pyu In Oo took almost 2h and the driver was flooring it most of the time. Mid ways came the serpentines. It was a struggle - a convoy of cars drove in to a water cooling depot on top of the mountain to hose of the engines and breaks. I´m not entirely sure it´s the best idea buy hey...when in Rome....you break your car! J

We passed the huge Military officers school on the way in. I think the driver told us that around 3000 officers are being trained there right now. That is A LOT of young officers! We later saw a few of them around the city, shopping and running around in their uniforms.

So, finally the old hill station Pyin In Oo. The driver parked us close to the market, the central market. The only difference between the goods on this one and other central markets was that this market had some really warm clothes to offer. Like fleece jackets and thick insulated jackets. We left after some minutes since we were not in the shopping mode right now. We made a detour and walked to the church and got to the Gold triangle cafe. A very clean and nice café located in a beautiful colonial building. They sold organic fair trade coffee so we bought a bag home. The cookies they sold were OK and the views of the street life and the old houses were excellent. We spent an hour or two there, just idling and talking to the locals. Saw some stressed Americans with LP guide making and entrance, drunk a coffee in 3 seconds, checked the Café of the “to do list” and run out again. That was fun J. I also talked to an old English teacher from the high school. Since I´m into preserving cultural habitats we spoke a lot on how the new fast food culture changes the life of today’s youth and the old Myanmar traditions. He told me of his passion for translating old texts. He could read all of the older texts but he could not understand all of it yet. He showed us how to decode dates in the old Myanmar calendar and gave me a poem about the Tabara gate in Bagan. A historic lowe story about two lovers made immortal with the status on the gate sides. Sweet old man!

Went back to our car. In the mean time the driver almost got a heart attack since we were gone for so long. I guess he was used with the kind of tourists that you need to hold in hand. Poor guy. We hugged and laughed and all was good again. Not my fault the old teacher liked us so much that he read several poems to us.

We looked around the small city centre and drove onwards. Next stop was the “Lucky” pagoda. Just another pagoda I guess. A big one. In the middle of nowhere. After that we visited the waterfalls. A very popular place with water powered merry go round, people swimming in the pools and having lunch at one of the many restaurants that lined the river and the falls. The shops sold a lot of local wine, pinapple wine, cherry wine etc. I was tempted to drink one but I decided that was a bit early still J. We drove onwards to the main attraction – the botanical garden. I took a good while to get to the gardens from the city centre. A 5 USD entrance fee. So the gardens were...OK. Not much more then that can be said. The aviary was ok. The orchid garden was boring, only whites ones in bloom. The bamboo forest was phenomenal! What a cool place! Afterwards I was a bit concerned about the fact that there could be a lot of snakes in the forest and we were just running around in the bamboo heaven playing Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. After all, I thought it would be more exotic but it was rather looking like an old English park. DUH! Old colonial British botanical garden....ring a bell? We also got a “pleasure” to listen to Myanmar ABBA covers during the whole visit since there was a concert or something in the park. Festival time – remember? Oh! And there are hundreds of carp fish in the ponds that you can feed!!! Funny stuff!

We chose the Feel restaurant, the same branch like the one in Yangon, the one we liked so much, as a lunch restaurant. Situated on the end of the lake, by the football fields, the location is great. The restaurant is huge and clean but does not serve food in the same way they do in Yangon.  I guess they have less clients still to do that. They looked recently opened, and the food was excellent. The driver ordered a huge fruit dessert with ice cream. It was like 1/10 of his body size J. A real celebration! Along the road back to the town, we saw a lot of old colonial mansions. We said bye bye to Pyu In Oo after lunch. The driver stopped by an Indian bakery and bought some sweets for his children. AAAAw J Sweet guy! And he bought us some sweets too! Awwww nice! :D.

The road back to Mandalay down the serpentines with a driver that was in a hurry to get home was also an experience. We arrived in Mandalay in late afternoon. The sun was setting, the dust was whipped up by the traffic, the mopeds were noisy...we were back for sure.

A swim in the pool and we took the blue Mazda for dinner. To the Golden duck of course since it´s the kick ass place to visit. So up we go and guess wot ...they RUN OUT OF DUCK! Fakk! No duck? 

Tags: botanical gardens, feel restaurant, gold triangle cafe, pyu in oo

About tomaszo


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.