Existing Member?

Inaccessible Myanmar Myanmar round trip April 2011

Chronologial temple hunting day on the Bagan plain with a local guide

MYANMAR | Monday, 11 April 2011 | Views [1213]

The TEMPLE HUNTING DAY! The guide picked us up quite early, before it got hot. And hot it would become, +42C! We agreed on the itenary:

  • ·         Bulethi pagoda
  • ·         Nyaung Oo market
  • ·         Shwe Zi Gon pagoda
  • ·         Gu Byauk Kyi temple
  • ·         Wet Kyi Inn village
  • ·         Hti Lo Min Lo temple
  • ·         Anauk Phaw Saw village
  • ·         Pha Ya Thon Zu temple
  • ·         Ta yoke Pyay for the sunset.

We hired a car with AC with guide & driver for the whole day for 60 USD.  Good tendency. The prices are getting lower. I don´t mind paying for a guide and a car but in a country without ATMs and without possibility to use credit cards it gets a bit uneasy sometimes.

The tour started with the older architecture and continued onwards 11th to 13 th century. We started up far away in Bulethi paya where we took a slow start and had a long talk with the guide while we sat on the top of the pagoda looking at sun rising slowly over the Bagan plain. The view was fantastic, the weather not yet hot so it was a perfect morning. The hawkers really can screw up the most beautiful site. They were already active selling sand paintings on top of the pagoda. We talked about politics, as always, and came to a conclusion that since Chinese eat everything, we could export military from Myanmar to China and also ex. communists from Poland so they could be eaten by the Chinese. I mean, both the commies and the military sucked and were not really wanted by the anyone except themselves. Parasites.

We then continued to Nyag U and the local market. Already filled with people selling and buying the  crops, fish, meat and all kinds of strange things, most of which could be eaten. What a difference to visit a market with someone who knows the salesmen!  The guide explained what crops are used in what way, what the different spices are and we spend around 2h looking and tasting the different foods. We buught some strange foods and generally had a good time. The sweet & spicy mango slices were very tasty! Had a lot of laughs with a lady selling rats. She called them mice but they were the mothers of all mice in that case. Already skinned and cleaned, they looked almost yummy. We also learned that the locals are a bit unhappy because the hotels buy all the prawns and river lobsters from the fishermen and local people can´t buy those products as easy as before. I bet. The river lobsters we ate in Cambodia were bloody superb! I could eat one every day!

So we went to the Swedagon pagoda. A gold pagoda crowded with local people, tourist, salesmen. A very busy place. It actually looked exactly like so many other pagodas so it was maybe not that interesting from the architectural point of view but they did leave one section without plaster and gold so that you could see the brick work underneath. I especially liked the old Nats in one of the side temple. The Nats were pre-Buddha so they were really interesting as part of the original Myanmar religion that survived the religious revolution.

I noticed a Korean photographers “mafia” equipped with all the possible Lowe-pro gadgets and bags and all the latest Nikons bodies with the latest lenses. Geezas! Is it really photography when your guide says to a monk to walk back and forth before a group of 6 photographers so they can get a nice shot? (In midday sun where the pics will be crap anyway, regardless of your Photoshop skills).

Enough with the Swedagon. Several busses with Italian tourists pulled up so we fled. Needed to stop for a short loo visit so we pulled up to an ITALIAN (?) place serving pizza. It was just an emergency stop for toilet (& beer for me) on the way but GEEEZAS! I mean common! You spend hundreds of dollars, hell thousands to come as far as Myanmar, and then you end up in a PIZZERIA?? And guess who sat there?! A pair of backpackers! The kind of backpackers who visit old temples and say “whoaaaw, could you feel that spirits, sunset” etc. bullcrap with meditation and all. That kind that don´t wash their clothes for a week and don´t take showers since it´s un-cool to bring western civilisation to remote regions. Right, that is why they order a fakking PIZZA! To NOT spread the "civilisation" around. I´ve been travelling across the world since I was 16 and believe me, there is always a place to take a shower and you can always wash your t-shirt somewhere. And no, I did not eat pizza in Myanmar. J

Went forward to Gu Byauk Kyi temple. A beautifully painted pagoda from 11th century. Some really old paintings that were so fragile and looked so detailed. If not for some German bloke that ordered some poor locals to cut the painted plaster in bits and rip it off the wall, it would be even better looking. Now there were several cut marks. It still looked kick ass!

Next stop, LUNCH! Wet Kyi Inn village, just outside the Tarabha gate again but in the third restaurant from counting from the old gate, the Golden Myanmar food place. HUGE buffet of Myanmar food attracted locals in masses and occasional tourists with their guides. A very popular place. Our guide said that since it´simportant to eat fresh meat in hot season, “it´s important to have fresh food for the stomach” they all ate there. And Boy did we get a selection of food!  We paid 17000 (we paid 10 000 for the same selection the next day) for the buffet and 4 beers. OK price we thought.

Midday break at the hotel, until 16:00, for beer and swim and sunbathing.  I was a bit restless so I went for a walk on the hot river sandbank. Hot as hell and dry as a desert. I found some old broken jars. I bet they were not ancient but just let me believe for a moment that they were from 11th centuryJ. The bottom of the jar was very uneven so it was definitely not made by a machine.

The guide picked us up and we drove to New Bagan to see a local lackerware workshop. Bagan is famous for lackerware so the guide proudly showed us the shop in his home village. We saw the whole production cycle and bought some souvenirs that seemed to be of nice quality. The horse hair lackerware that was so flexible was great!  Another amazing temple and then into the Anauk Phaw Saw village. Alocal agricultural village where we had a chance to walk around the households and see how people lived in a village on the Bagan plain. What a ride back to the 11th century! No running water, no electricity, no horses. Just oxcarts, bamboo huts and peanuts. That was a real strange experience. To see the poverty but also the happiness and joy that the people had was something different.  I would not trade with them but I did envy them their freedom and the way they all helped each other as a big community. The guide explained t us how the richer took care of the m poor ones and how the “modern” world is slowly changing the old way of life. We spend over an hour looking at the village life and learning how the villagers lived and worked. We left with a smile and I´m still thinking of the people we met there. I bet they are more happy the we are right now, without a car, without the internet, the PS3, the latest Android phone etc.

From there we visited the “triple” temple. Very cool temple that housed three Buddha images. And I was a bit fed up with the hawkers there. I´ve never seen hawkers sell their crap inside the temples! That was a bit too much. I know, they need to make a living but please, let us look at the inside of the temples in peace and show some respect. It is after all a holy place. Not OK. The triple temple had some amazing paintings inside and the sun setting gave the Buddha images a nice orange glow.

Continued to the Ta yoke Pyay for the sunset. Quite crowded, even the guide was surprised. After all he grew up here and worked as a guide for living. Hetold us that he use to run off from school to hide in just that temple with his friends J. We looked at the Buddha inside and went up. Puffing and breathing heavily, sweating like a pig I made it up. Yes! And what do we see? The Korean NIKON MAFFIA on the way up in share panic! Hurry guys, the sun is setting!!!! With the tripods, backpacks, bags, light meters, lens cases, flash guns etc. I bet that you could equip 7 pro photographers and cover a whole war with that equipment! I´m being quite unfair since I also had 5 pro lenses in my bike courier bag. They were all quite amazed when I stared to rip out my lenses out of the bag. I guess I need to buy more lens cases and carry them in a bike courier bag J. Squeezed out some nice shots and enjoyed the sunset while listening to the Nikons shutter sounds.....

Back at the hotel the gudie asked us if we wanted to rent a horse cart for the next day. SURE WE WOULD! He helped us to select one just outside our hotel and we book the ride for the next day. The price was 17000 for a whole day. OK! We usually pay that for a dinner for two!

To sum up the day. the guide didn´t show us EVERY temple in Bagan. Nor was it the plan. He meant that most of them we could explore ourselves. He showed us the most important ones in chronological order, except the main one, the Ananda. From the early period and forward. We learned how the architecture changed and maybe more important, he showed us the CULTURAL LANDSCAPE of the Bagan plain. How people live today. And I´m guessing, for some of the people in the remote villages, the life did not change that much since the 13th century. A priceless experience. An important lesson that I will remember for the rest of my life.

Tags: anauk phaw saw village, bulethi pagoda, golden myanmar restaurant, gu byauk kyi temple, hti lo min lo temple, nyaung oo market, pha ya thon zu temple, shwe zi gon pagoda, ta yoke pyay, wet kyi inn village

About tomaszo


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.