Existing Member?

Journey to the Summit This journal records progress to my first goal, a long time desire to learn, converse & dream in Spanish and a 2nd goal continue training in Guatemala for my future summit of Mt. Rainier, Washington.

Yeah, Graduation!!!

GUATEMALA | Friday, 15 May 2009 | Views [665] | Comments [2]

Carla presenting me with my diploma signifying my completion of 8 weeks of studying Spanish. Trinis and Wendy of Familia Sosa are in the foreground.

Carla presenting me with my diploma signifying my completion of 8 weeks of studying Spanish. Trinis and Wendy of Familia Sosa are in the foreground.

After 8 weeks in Xela my graduation dinner from Miguel Angel Asturias Spanish school was upon me. Twenty-five (25) years ago I made a choice to learn to speak Spanish. I came to Xela with a dream and a hope that after 25 years full of incremental attempts and limited success with spanish lesson books, audio-tapes, continuing education courses in the USA and a 17 day sojourn to El Instituto Chac-Mool in Cuernavaca, Mexico a few years ago, that maybe this time I might finally be able to converse in Spanish, and perhaps even dream in the language.

This past weekend while I was fitfully sleeping on Vólcan Tajumulco waiting to do our summit climb I began to notice that my dreams were full of Spanish verb conjugations amidst people speaking Spanish. It was a wonderfully, odd experience.

When this week began I realized I had a different willingness to speak Spanish to the last of my maestros, Carla. A few days after Theora arrived I noticed I was chatting with her in Spanish all day. I felt a sense of exhilaration and happiness in the realization that I had finally achieved my dream--the experience of speaking and dreaming in Spanish.

At the graduation dinner Justin and I received our diplomas. In Carla is presenting my diploma to me and giving me a hug. I am still a beginner with the language, but now I am ready to learn Spanish for "real"!!!!

Tags: dream, spanish school

 

Comments

1

congratulations! what does that mean to learn Spanish for real? more travel? more reality?

  audrey May 18, 2009 3:29 PM

2

Oh, I kind of laugh about it like it is getting a black belt in Aikido. A black belt means you now have enough of the basics to practice seriously. I now have enough Spanish that I know much of what I don´t know and could really use a Spanish school well to move forward in fluency. Don´t have any immediate travel plans other than to be home again.

  Tom May 19, 2009 6:11 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.