Existing Member?

Trip of a Lifetime Our 10 month journey around the world.

Start of Thailand

THAILAND | Monday, 15 March 2010 | Views [440] | Comments [1]

March 4  - Start of Thailand

Long travel day finally arriving in Bangkok in the morning..  Back to Hotel rooms Holly I think is glad to be out of the Campervan.  As expected the traffic in Bangkok is insane  but funny enough a controlled insanity..
Your hotel offered us a city tour at night so we went on the night thrill ride.  They wised us around town telling us about all the monuments in broken English that we couldn’t understand a word of.  LOL..
They offered us a free ride to the markets so we went shopping and didn’t get anything even know the prices were very cheap.. We just didn’t want to carry anything more around and we would be back for shopping on our way out to India..  Everyone in town is a scammer..  We even had a guy on the street tell us he was a teacher and wanted us to go to the good places..  All he did was feed s a bunch of BS and send us on a tour of the rip off joints in town.  We didn’t mind as is was just fun riding round in the Tuk Tuk  LOL..  Food is crazy cheep  two main courses and desert for $3 is the norm.  We later just walked to the Royal Palace that we were trying to get to earlier with the Tuk Tuk and never made it LOL  They will take you anywhere except where you want to go..  The Palace was amazing with all of the golden buildings and Temples.  It was larger than life..  We got to see the Emerald Buda.  After that we hesitated to walk any further as it was scorching hot but we pressed on to the largest reclining buda in the world..  It was worth it.  We then headed back to the hotel and right into the pool to cool off.  The next morning we headed to the night train that would take us to the Ferry to Koh Tao..  The train was a little confusing but the attendants were helpful and we found our seats/beds.  We arrived on Koh Tao and walked to the Resort we had booked right down town..  Of course  with the holler of TAXI SIR TAXI  all around..  I think I might get a shirt that say   “NO thanks NO Taxi”
We took it easy the first few days and just enjoyed the beach..  There are motorbike rentals everywhere and I couldn’t resist joining the chaos and hitting the open road to explore the island..  Seem they have no road laws  or age limits and will had the keys to anyone that has cash..  We have seen kids from 10 years old to crazy tourist that have never been on a bike riding around, on helmets, and hardly any paved roads  just a bunch of washed out dirt roads and we are riding street scoter..  More than a little crazy if you ask me but I am loving every minute of it as I have missed riding.  We rented the scooter for the hole week so I am sure I will have some crazy adventures on it.  Accommodations are cheep if you opt for no ac  $20 -$30 a night and you can eat for about $10 a person per day..  Seem that everything I order is insanely hot well not the chocolate milk shakes.. Mmmm J  We also went on a round the island boat trip to do some snorkelling and sight seeing..  The reef aren’t quite as good as Fiji or the Barrier reef but they have a lot of creatures I haven’t seen anywhere else in the world.  We have know moved over to the East side of the island where it is a little quieter away from town and hope to spend our last 4 days on Koh Tao island relaxing in the sun and surf.     

Comments

1

Love reading your adventures. Rent an XR!! omg the riding there must be sweet.

  Kyle Mar 16, 2010 6:08 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.