Existing Member?

Trip of a Lifetime Our 10 month journey around the world.

Our time in Australia have come to an end

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 8 March 2010 | Views [440]

Wrapping up Australia  -  aka  “Ass end of the world”

So we survived (barley).  We did have a good time in Australia, but I wouldn’t say I would go back any time soon..  Well that is if I was allowed back..  Long story..  One I we will tell another time.   We started up North in Cairns where it was insanely hot and work our way down the East coast hoping for cooler weather.  We had picked up a junker 1987 Toyota Tarago Van and were on our way.  We stopped as often as possible to swim and cool off which wasn’t very often as the ocean was full of jellyfish and the streams full of crocodiles.  Once we got a little further South we found that the Jellyfish were gone but the waters cooler but were replaced by man eating tiger sharks.  We did visit the great Barrier reef which was probably the highlight for me as I got to dive on the reef and see all of the amazing sea life.  We also visited Fraser island said to contain more sand than the Sahara desert.  We had encounters with some amazing animal life in the Zoo and in the wild.  Holly even got to pet a Koala (Probably the laziest animal on the planet. They don‘t even get out of the tree to poop as I can attest when it landed square in the center of your windshield as we drove under him). We visited the Great ocean road and view the 12 Apostles at dawn and ventured deep underground into dark and mysterious caves.  The last week we spend in Sydney were we visited the Opera house, the Sydney bridge, and all the attractions the city had to offer.  From the Jungles to the ocean Australia is a dangerous and exciting place.  It went from cooking hot and 44 deg to flooring  in a matter of days.   If you like to live life in a sauna, or in torrential downpour I suggest you visit in Feb - March.  Over all our Australia experience was a good one as we both saw and had some great adventures, like when we walked behind a 300 foot waterfall, or made our way across the tops of the trees on the tree top walks.  The forest are very lush with abundant rare foliage well, holly especially loved the snakes, lizards, spiders and creepy crawlies witch we saw a lot off. LOL….  Once we had seen the Kangaroo in the wild we new we had had the Ausi experience and it was time to get out of the “ass end of the world“..  I say that as a local explained to me that they do everything backwards, they get everything last and are behind the rest of the world in every aspect, so that is how I will always remember Australia as the ass end of the world..    So for now I will say “Gooday Mate” as we hear off for Thailand..

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.