Existing Member?

Trip of a Lifetime Our 10 month journey around the world.

February 6 - 12

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 19 February 2010 | Views [593]



We awoke early to go see the sand dune.  It is another nice day and we a lot to do in the great lakes area.  The san dune was fun. We ran and jumped from the top and slid all the way down.  We were going to go for a swim too but there were still jelly’s at that beach too so we headed for one of the lakes for a swim.  We then went to Newcastle and watched the surfers and boogie borders get crushed by huge wave.  We then went to the lakes entrance and took some pictures and asked a guy going fishing what he was catching.. He replied  in a see captain voice  “Arrrr  I’m fishing for shark”  LOL..  We had a good laugh..   We drove past Sydney   it was crazy rainy and foggy..  While driving..  We found a nice little place for the night.  We discovered that we had picked up a hitchhiker just before be  ..A small mouse had made his way into our van.  I tried to catch it but it was way to fast so we left him for the night and I would make a trap if he was still around the next night..  Holly was very excited as the place we were staying at had a bathtub.  Still raining in the morning.  We had an indoor pool at the place we were staying so we decided to hang out and swim before heading on the road.  500km inland we again found the sun..  On the way the mouse decided to scare the begebers out of Holly by running over her foot  LOL..  Just glad she didn’t make us crash as she was freaking out..  We found a small river to swim in and cool off and then went to out camp for the night.  Sunny again in the morning.  Today would be another long day of driving as we are headed to the south to do the GREAT OCEAN ROAD,  we would spend the night in Torquay.  They had very nice beaches, and the surf was suppose to be world class but there was no waves to be seen..  We found a spot to camp and had our Kangaroo kabobs for dinner..  (they tasted like cheap stake)  The night we listened for the mouse but seemed he had moved on..  Holly was very happy.   The next morning we headed off on the Great Ocean Road.    We stopped at a light house for lunch.  Apollo bay we hiked to a lookout and watched a parasailer get ready to take flight.  We were going to the oldest lighthouse in Australia. On our way down there poop fell from the sky  We knew it could only be one thing  We had been pooped on by a Koala..  We found quite a few Koala along the road..  We were headed to see the 12 apostles quickly and as it was late we would go back at sunrise to view them at first light.  Today we would do a lot of hikes to see rock arches formations and towers..  We thought about swimming but the ocean is quite cool down here  (Only a few degrees warmer than home so we didn’t go in..  We were headed to the Princess Margret Rose limestone caves at the end of he Ocean road for the night.  Along the way we spotted for Emu along side the road.  In the morning we went spludunking in the cave and were amazed at the limestone formations.   After the caves we headed to Tower Hill crater reserve.  Were it poured rain and I got soaked as our door on our van fell right off when I slammed it to hard..  I got soaked fixing it as Holly Laughed.  :P …   The rest of the day would be driving back East  We slept in and would be heading to Geelong, and then onto QueensCliff to catch a ferry.  We ran to town to grab some fish and chips.    The ferry took us to Sorrento and we just went to  few lookouts and did some quick walks as the weather was still iffy.  We then drove to Philip island hand dinned and then rushed off to see the smallest Penguin in the world..  They waddled out of the water and up the beach in groups of about ten or so just as it gets dark..  The night was spent at the YHA backpacker park.

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.