Existing Member?

Trippin' Around

Wheeeeeee.... Sleep deprived!

ITALY | Tuesday, 1 July 2008 | Views [702]

So we've gone from the broiling heat of Rome, to the less so of Florence onto the happy medium in the lake district of Italy.  Up near the Alps again, next to Lake Magiore(sp?), we have had a bit of an adventure around the place.

First challange came when we got to the campsite, but in the middle of a thunderstorm....  Boom/crash/rain - tents.  Need I say more?  Some how we managed to pitch our tents in the rain and NOT get soak through!  w00t!  Go team!

Today saw us crusing around the lake to visit Isola Bella, a beautiful island that has one of the most unique styles I have seen.  And considering that we have seen 99,009,938,001 billion buildings so far(okay, slight exageration, but it has been a LOT!) this is saying something.  I will only decribe my favourite rooms (a set) but will just add that one of the rooms looked like the library out of 'Beauty and the Beast' and that was a great favourite too.  

But back to the awesomeness of the Grotto rooms. 

One could almost imagine King Neptune himself creating these rooms as you walk through the coolness, looking out to the brillient aqua water reflecting the clear skies above: you are swallowed by the shadows.  Polished black pebbles coat the floors, the walls, the ceilings, the columns - shadows that are neatly pushed aside by streams of smooth white stones that flowed and curl creating corral-like patterns growing in the dark texture. 

In amongst the striking feel of these water-cave rooms you will find graceful statues, a bust of Alexander the Great (who Em-J immediately pronounced to be hot!), and the trappings of the royal carriage horses.  I really enjoyed the different thing to see there, but unfortunately somewhere between the palace and it's beautiful gardens I hit 'the wall'.

Basically I slept the afternoon away and intend to do the same tomorrow on the bus in hopes that I can gather energy for Switzerland and France.  Two weeks or so left of our grand adventure and it is with very mixed emotions that I view the end of our journey.  However, I'll just enjoy now as it is.  As long as I can get some sleep!

Ciao, b.

Tags: isola bella, lake district, neptunes palace, rain, sleep deprived

About tinka


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.