Existing Member?

Trippin' Around

Markets ahoy!

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 10 February 2008 | Views [550]

You'd think after doing the Temple Street Markets, and the Ladies Markets in Hong Kong we'd be sick of markets and shopping in general...  But no.  This morning EmJ and I headed out to the Portabello Road Markets.  They where different - everything was organized!  You had your antiquities up one end, than the food stuffs, then new clothes and shoes, ect...

I tell you what though, the anitiques were beautiful.  You could really tell that they were old - found in someone's attic or cellar I suppose. After a minimal amount of shopping(we are trying to conserve our funds), we walked on to Kensington Gardens.  We saw the place, and a gorgeous Lotus Elise, of which I had to get a picture(!) and the Round Pond, which is not indeed round, but oval and is not a pond but a lake.  *was annoyed by that*

There were some majestic white swans cruising the water along with a varity of ducks, geese and seagulls.  This lake was set in a vast blanket of rich emerald grass dotted with oak trees, the stark branches stripped bare, yet to show any signs of the coming spring.  Still it was lovely, and although EmJ and I can't quite get our head around the light here(I'll explain in a bit) we enjoy our stroll.

Ok. Light.  You maybe wondering what I mean by not being able to get my head around it, but I don't know if there's anything like it any where else.  The light doesn't change - it's so solid and bright.  There are always long black shadows on the ground - even at midday and I could swear at any point in the day that it was around 5:30pm.  Really!  It's like the sun is simply a piercing spot of white refraction in the sky.

Yes, believe it or not, we have only seen the sun so far - not a drop of rain.  It's rather perculiar to tell you the truth, because it rained every day in Hong Kong, almost every hour, yet the famed English weather doesn't appear to exist... Yet!  I'm sure we'll see it at some point, but it doesn't seem to be this trip as the forecast is sunny right past when we leave for Italy.  

Anyway, that's all for today,

b.

Tags: shopping

About tinka


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.