Existing Member?

Trippin' Around

Growing on me - like the plum trees in the shops.

HONG KONG | Wednesday, 6 February 2008 | Views [768]

I am happy to announce to one and all that Hong Kong is officially growing on me...

Tired and 'disillusioned' as I was regarding this bustling city, its slowly growing on me.  The food is great, really tasty, and resonable if you look around.

And its clean!  Sort of...  It's weird, 'coz in some parts, (rail system, inside, the parks and fountains *gasp-shock-horror* when you think of Canberra Civic fountains...) it's sparklingly (yes, that is a word) perfectly pristine.  It's so weird.  The streets go from muck-raking to embassy organised in about two seconds flat.  Which, incidently, is how fast the esclators go around here.  People just don't have the time to spend it standing around apparently.

The other thing which I have very quickly gotten used to is the sleeping habits of this city. (I know one of my friend would love it - *nudges Ky-Kychan) Up at 11:00am and bed at 11:00-12:00pm.  How cool is that!?  And, at 10:00pm you don't have to go to bed because there is nothing to do!!! 

I must say though, the shopping leaves a bit to be desired.  You do get some nice stuff for resonable prices, but a lot of it is a very similar price to the markets and whole-salers at home.  And you get ripped off, short-changed and generally taken for a ride out here. 

I'm sure the multitudes of brand name clothes they have are cheap compared to the usual standard, but at $30 to $100 AUD I don't consider that cheap! 

EmJ and I spent a lovely day this morning at the Hong Kong Mueseum of Arts - really worth a look around.  On Wednesdays, the admission is free, and the antiquities you get to veiw are beautiful.  I have actually laid my eyes upon Ming Dynasty porcelain. 

Plus, the jade, gold, classic Chinese paintings, printing and calligraphy are amazing.  Really spectacular.

I also got to taste Jasime Pearl Tea in a Tea Shop - EmJ and I saw the process - including the washing of the tea.  That was special.

Well, it's off to the Ladies Market for EmJ and myself,

*bows* Goodbye, 

b.

EmJ here! - Totally agree with b. regarding the city. It is growing on me more. It takes some getting used to when the busiest city you've ever been in is Sydney! (Plus we've never been in Sydney alone.) I like the surpirses around every corner and how there's these cute little shops just hiding down the side streets.

However, I disagree with b. regarding the shopping. I think the prices and quality of what we're paying for are better than what we'd get at home. Although I do think that we've been charged a lot more than someone from Hong Kong would. (It's all part of being a tourist!)

The museum was fun - I saw some gorgeous gold & jade jewelry...... Plus lots of beautiful paitings and pottery. b. and I found a craft table where we got to draw "Year of the Rat" greeting picture things which are supposed to be hung on your door. (For those who may not know - Tomorrow (Thurs) is the Chinese New Year.)

Anyway we've gotta head off now - we didn't make it to the Ladies Market yesterday (too many other cool stuffs on the way) so we're heading there now.

Tags: Culture

About tinka


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.