Existing Member?

Celebrating LIFE on the road, living in the moment Traveling in search of ocean views, great fun, some exciting interactions and new adventures.

Lake Titicaca

USA | Wednesday, 9 May 2007 | Views [1115] | Comments [1]

We decided to connect with always travel once we were in Puno to see if they could help us set up a trip to lake titcaca and an overnights stay on one of the islands. We were successful in booking a trip and boarded a boat early in the morning for a tour of the Lake Titicaca region and people there. Our first stop was to one of the floating islands of Sauasi. The island we visited consisted of about 3 families that made a life their on their floating island. The people there spend time fishing *for food not fun and making weavings and trinkets for the many toursists that visit the island. Once we arrived our guide was careful to explain the way of life for the people there. There is a rumor that the people do not live there any more but rather go out to the island every day to greet the  tourists. \It is not true but it's easy to see how such a rumor could thrive. the people live in grass/reed homes and weave the read to make a floating island.when we debarked the boat and stepped on the island we noted immediately how spongey the ground under foot was. we sat around in a circle ate some reed *tastes like chicken not, and listened as our guide described the subsistence of the people on the island. the people also make huge reed boats that are very sturdy and used to go out and fish with. I can only imagine that life on the island would be very complacent at times and at other times totally influenced by the over 6,000 tourists who go to visit.

from this island we went out further onto lake titacac to visit our famile. Our boat included about 25 people and the agency we worked with works to assure that all the families that are eligible not only benefit financially from our visit but also have an equal chance of having visitors to their home. Once we arrived on the island \*after 2 more hours on the water, we were met at the dock by the families with whom we would stay the night. There are about 4,000 familes that live on this island that is about 6 miles loong. Me MAH and louise were introduced to our family and walked together up the steep incline to their home and our resting place for the night. The walk is paved with stone the entire way and the island has a walk that covers the circumference of the island. The people here are Quechua and are very isolated fromt he rest of the world. They work hard and are in the process of harvesting the golden Barley that blanketed the fields we passed as we traversed the patheway forever upwards. Our family greeted us at their home and brought us into their kitchen for a lovely lunch of quinewa soup and an assortment of potatoes. THe starch provides energy. The family then took us up to a soccer field from which we continued to go upwards tot he highest point of the island to view the sunset. I opted to stay below and watch the life of the islanders as they harvested their crops by hand and loaded it up on their backs to take back home. Their are no vehicles on the island and in only saw a few modern conveniences, radio, a couple of bikes, and a couple of boats. there is not an electric other than what can be obatained through solar power and the families all wear traditional clothing much of the time./ THere are two schools on the island that the government contributes to assure the islanders are educated. \THe day fell into night and we went back to our new homes and enjoyed a wonderful typical quechean meal. As darkeness fell we were told in broken spanish that there was a dance for all of us to attend that night. We were totally surprised when joanna, our new sister, brought in several traditional dresses for us to wear to the dance. we had fun changing into the traditional clothing and trying to figure out what tied to what! OUr sister joanne got a great kick out of it too. We proceeded to the community hall where the high school quechan band played music under the glow of the solar lit hall. There were about 50 of us there total and we danced in high altitude which in itself was breathtaking.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

That floating island reminded me of the book the Life of PI. Remember when he found that island and lived there for a while? Sounds like you're having fun. Talk to you soon

  Jennifer Buckner May 10, 2007 12:02 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.