Existing Member?

Celebrating LIFE on the road, living in the moment Traveling in search of ocean views, great fun, some exciting interactions and new adventures.

kiwis are cool, the land is awe inspiring

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 19 February 2015 | Views [717]

We have been here now about 4 days  the journey starting in christchurch through Arthur's pass to the west coast down to fox glacier. Yesterday we traveled north retracing our steps to hokitiki and traveling on up the coast to Westport. The weather has been glorious, the people so tolerant and kind and our accommodations top notch. I find myself now at the west port library listening to a kiwi who wrote her story of living on the west coast since 1957. She has quite a life story. We really only popped in to use the internet (it has been difficult to get a proper signal) and we were delighted to find this older lady regaling the audience with stories of life in NZ. Our trip through Arthur's Pass to the glaciers and now up the coast has been described mostly with the words of "Oh my!....how gorgeous"!.

Some impressions: the southern alps are amazing, the flora is somewhat tropical looking, and the mountains climb steeply to meet blue sky

Climate change is real, tell your friends the glaciers are receding abot 500 meters in depth and two hundred meyers on length each week. The change is shocking especially when i rwmember the glacier in 1988 when i was here last reached the road. Yesterday we hiked about 1 half mile to be able to see the terminus. The only way to reach the glacier is via helicopter because it has receded so much. So do what you can to conserve and to eat and live locally.

Hostel life is variable, great way to meet people, learn about different parts of the world, practice flexibility and patience and to view the country. The hostel in westport it's totally off the grid and the folks that run it are the most considerate of hosts. Tomorrow we leave for abel tasman and hopefully some treking along the beach as well as a little kayaking. Health is holding up but the inevitable cold has set in, not to worry i have learned to share. Kristin and larry now also have the sniffles :). Until we have connectivity again. Cheers 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.