Existing Member?

Winging it “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” - Martin Buber, Philosopher

new friends

INDIA | Tuesday, 29 January 2008 | Views [474]

Lazy! I didn't finish my last post, so I shall endeavour to ammend it. I mentioned the man we met who invited us to join him at the concert, Bhupendra. At the time he also extended an invitation to meet his family and so a couple of days later he came to pick us up from the hotel and take us to his home. We caught the bus from Colaba, something I had not been brave enough to do, as they always seemed packed, and the bus never waits for the last people to jumpon before taking off, leaving a trail of passengers streaming from the door and leaping from the hand rail. It was peak hour (it always feels like peak hour) so the traffic was hectic - slow and fast at the same time. Bhupendra pointed out the landmarks in his neighbourhood, from his electrical shop to the hideaway idli shop he has visited since he was a small boy. A few steps down off the street and ducking your head takes you into the small but brightly lit room where we sampled -well I think it sounded like pot puri - puffed and golden idlis filleth a curry soup and then a scoop of vegetable mix - eaten one by one - as soon as you have finished one, another is ready for your plate.

Bhupendra has three children, two daughters and a son, the eldest, Jasmine is studying engineering at college with plans to become an astronaut - and I can see it happening! When we arrived, his wife Siroj was cooking and gave me a huge hug - something I was surprised at, but felt truly welcomed by. His parents also live with him, and we received a warm welcome from these two frail, beautiful people.

We were taken to another room, an office which is used by the families during the evening for extra space. Our host waited on us conscientiously, never allowing us to be without anything yet continually offering more til we were were so stuffed. He did not join us, and when we had finished, Siroj was still cooking for her children who were eating in the other room.

Photos were thin brought out, including a laminated copy of the response from teh Australian govt to a letter he wrote objecting to Steve Waugh not being included in Aust cricket team

Tags: Friends

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.