Existing Member?

Winging it “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.” - Martin Buber, Philosopher

Singapore

SINGAPORE | Wednesday, 23 January 2008 | Views [462]

Well, this is not really a journey -more of a stopover, but heaps of fun anyway. I was feeling rather smug thinking what a good thing I booked a  short, direct flight back to Singapore when I discovered the plane was delayed and would also detour through Danang, Vietnam, adding an extra 3 hours to the flying time. Anyway, got to the hotel 7 hours later than I said I would without being able to call (oops)and asked for the room numbers which I then promptly forgot as I was on a high. So after getting Hamo to knock on 3 doors and disturbing the rather unhappy occupants, I thought I had better check the number.  Next day was a bit of an explore for me and I was just so happy I did not have to drag Hamo around =- you can bet he thought the same!!!

We ate in Chinatown that night -full of colour and spectacle as Chinese New Year is approaching. I was in the process of getting wickedly drunk on dutyfree vodka and thought it would be a great idea to go to karaoke at a nearby bar. They take it very seriously, singing empassioned love ballads in Cantonese, so I put in my request for Kenny Rogers - 'The Gambler' and sung it enthusiastically to say the very least. I think that there is a message you can take from this song and apply it to all facets of life so just wanted to share. This was met with an exceptionally underwhelming response, so I followed with a little Michael Jackson number which had the hip young set returning to their playing cards in droves.

*sigh* philistines

Tags: I should have known better!

 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.