Existing Member?

Pictures and Stories from our Time in Thailand

Fancy weddings and other holidays!

THAILAND | Friday, 1 August 2008 | Views [468]

Well, July was a HUGE month for us.

First weekend saw us head to the north of the country to a wedding in Chang Mai. It was the most extravagant thing we have ever done! Some friends here got married (an Aussie and a Pom) at a 6 start hotel - The Oriental! It was just so beautiful and amazing. The entire hotel was set on a huge amount of land and was set up like a Thai temple and also witha  colonial feel to it. We stayed in the `cheap` room and I am certain I wont ever stay in anything so fancy again!

Dom and Joseph asked us all to dress up in traditional Thai clothes and everyone did - even the babies! I had a dress made (its was too small) and Mike had a lovely, white suit made! It was sooo hot and the outfits were just sufficating, but everyone was in the same boat!  The ceremony was also done Thai style. We all gathered before the ceremony witht he groom. He jumped on an elephant (!) and we walked to the bride (about 30 minutes) follwoing the elephant whose was behind a Thai band singing and dancing and dressed in traditional clothes.

Once we got the house where Dom was waiting, Joseph had to anwer questions about her, give money and gifts (wait until you hear what the gift was) and then yell out to Dom to come down from the house to marry him! She came down. She looked absolutely georgous! Jospehs gift to her was a $50,000 (yes $50,000) necklace! It was just on loan, but talk about a little bit of hollywood in Thailand!

Then they exchanged rings, gifts to the family. Then an old Thai guy came and blessed them. Then all the guests had to go and tie a cotton braclet to them, and wish them luck with their marriage! It was a very different yet lovely ceremony (not legal in Australia or England).

Next came the reception! Absolutely magical! The tent was surrounded by Thai dancers with candles, the ground was covered in petals in beautiful designs and there were candles everywhere! Expensive champagne flowed and it was a great night. A definate highlight, was when Dom and Joseph got up to do a `Bridal Waltz`. They started dancing Thai style to Thai music! It was really unexpected and before you know it, everyone (adults and children) were up on stage dancing `thai style`. It was a lot of fun!

Dom and Joseph also turned 40 recently, so in the middle of the reception we all went outside and let off 40 paper laterns. Really nice! A very unforgettable experience.

Next weekend we headed to Koh Chang to the beach with a guy Mike works with. It was a nice little beach getaway. We picked a hotel, that wasnt where we expected it to be. We almost ended up in Cambodia, but it all turned out ok!

Last weekend we headed to Hanoi for the weekend! Hanoi is a great city, fantastic food and lots of shopping. We went on a boat trip up a stinky river to see some temples and a pottery village. We went on a buffalo cart and got some great cheap pottery! We went to see the dead body of Ho Chi Minh, their beloved communist leader. I was expecting a little urn or tomb or something, but no, I was wrong. We lined up for 2 hours, in the blazing heat with the entire population of Hanoi, to see the Uncle. When we got to the steps of the building, we had to stand straight, get into a single file, take our hands out of pockets , all whilst being ordered around by a guard with a big gun. Anyway, we get in there and there is no urn or tomb, but the actaul dead body of Ho. He died 50 years ago or something, and they have preserved him! He was a funny white colour and not looking to fresh at all. It was all very weird.

So its been a huge month, and we are staying home this weekend and the next few to chill out for a bit. Well needed, this travelling business is tiring!

Also, big news just in - THE MAID QUIT. Yes, I am devastated. Luckily, the maid introduced us to her friend, so we have a new maid. Disaster avoided. Pfeww.

Well, things here are good. Mikes birthday do is fast approaching which we are both looking forward to and Christmas is fast approaching. Where did 2008 go?

Until next time...

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.