Existing Member?

A Year Without Ice Cubes One year through Africa and Asia

Safe and Sound back in Addis

SOUTH AFRICA | Monday, 23 March 2009 | Views [475] | Comments [4]

Sorry to give some parents a fright, but we were without phone or reliable internet for over a week, which was only supposed to be 4 days...but now, back in Addis using the insanely slow but fortunately working internet across the street from the hotel. There is much to blog about, we trekked through rural Ethiopia for 4 days, I slept in the same tukul (hut) that Brad Pitt did in 2004 (but he had the privelage of taking a helicopter to the site while we walked with a guide and a donkey), visited the amazing rock-hewn churches in Lalibela, made some friends and met up with some friends of friends who showed us around...I promise I will do my best to describe in detail these experiences, but for now I am just writing a quick howdy do. Oh, and welcome Grandma! Thanks for the birthday wishes and gift, yes friends, it is true I am turning 27 in less than 4 days...and guess what I will be doing on my birthday? Flying to India! Crazy times, I hope they have a birthday cake for me. So, again apologies for my lack of communication and causing loved ones to worry...more soon...

Comments

1

Hi Sylvia! Sorry I haven't commented in a while. I read all your post-Eldoret stories and OMG, it all sounds ridiculous and amazing. I'd have just died with the bees. I'm jealous of your authentic Ethiopian dining experiences. Adsede sounds super cute, just your kind of girl. I think it is just so awesome that you're doing this, and whatever you decide about where to go next in life, I know it'll be the right decision. Have fun in INDIA!!! and happy birthday! Love, one of your old college buddies :-p

  Jonathan Mar 23, 2009 8:19 AM

2

IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

  Louise Mar 26, 2009 2:24 AM

3

DAD AND I WISH YOU A HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALONG WITH LOUISE!!!
I was working for the IRS and Dad was in the Navy when we turned 27. Who would have thought that we would have a beautiful, adventurous daughter who would be landing in Mumbai on her 27th birthday?
Stay safe so you'll make it to your 28th (sorry, can't help myself)
Love you.

  sylvia mom Mar 26, 2009 2:42 AM

4

ya say it's your birthday...
(da da da da da da da-daa)
Well Happy Birthday To You!

What an amazing woman you are!

  Bunny Mar 26, 2009 11:36 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.