Existing Member?

A Year Without Ice Cubes One year through Africa and Asia

Finally in Africa!

SOUTH AFRICA | Thursday, 18 September 2008 | Views [1050] | Comments [16]

We’re in Johannesburg! The flight from London was long but we slept for a good amount of it, and I have to say that South African Airways is fantastic.  It was an overnight flight, and we got to watch an amazing sunrise when we were a few hours away from Johannesburg.  The Johannesburg OR Tambo International Airport is also really nice, and when we arrived we made it easily through customs, got our bags, and called our first hostel for their free airport pickup.  It was a quiet ride to the hostel with our South African driver, which gave me a nice chance to take in the surroundings and really come to the realization that I was finally in Africa.  Over a year of planning, and to finally be driving through a city in a country on a continent that until now I only had second-hand knowledge of was pretty exciting.  The poverty was definitely observable as soon as we left the airport, not overwhelming by any means but we did pass a large slum along the highway

 

Our hostel is reaaaally nice, we got in early so our room wasn’t ready yet, but they let us leave our bags in the office and walk around the property, use the internet, and lounge out on one of their couches.  We also played with the adorable black lab puppy that belongs to the managers.  The hostel is in an eastern suburb of Johannesburg and has an amazing view of the city, a swimming pool, numerous courtyards, a bar with a jacuzzi in it, a computer lounge area, a big lounge with a big TV, etc., etc.  I have the feeling this is going to be the nicest budget accommodation we’re going to stay at.

 

Michelle and I are just hanging out in the hostel tonight, there isn’t really anything close by to walk to, but tomorrow we’re planning on doing a tour of Soweto, Johannesburg’s biggest township, and visiting the Apartheid Museum.

Tags: africa, johannesburg

Comments

1

Did you get my email? Your debit card may be blocked because Bank of America thinks someone is using your card in South Africa.
Glad you're safe and enjoyed the sunrise.
Love Mom

  Your mom Sep 18, 2008 2:00 PM

2

I will from now on read your blog every day, to improve my English. hehehe:D

It was really funny that your debit card was blocked as you were using it in Africa...

Enjoy! How to see pictures?

  mingzhu Sep 18, 2008 2:31 PM

3

Wow! You actually are traveling the world. Good for you. I am going to enjoy hearing about your travels. I will forward your inital email to Neal and Kara. They will enjoy reading about your travels also. Have fun but be careful.(Old mother Hubbard).

  Aunty Nancy Sep 18, 2008 7:48 PM

4

I am glad to hear you made it safely :) Please be careful but make the most of this incredible opportunity.

Miss you :( Will read up on you daily....

  Tara Sep 18, 2008 10:28 PM

5

Sylvia...you are indeed quite the writer!! Keep it up. And have a great time. Your best use of limited time in India would be to get on a small van tour out of New Delhi that goes to Jaipur, Agra and then back to New Delhi. Don't miss Agra and the Taj. I'm already jealous just thinking of your great plans and travels.

Peace,
Larry

  Uncle Larry Sep 18, 2008 10:49 PM

6

Hey guys!!! I miss you already. Take care and enjoy yourselves. I'll be reading :)

  Jojo Sep 18, 2008 11:31 PM

7

Kowabunga! What a treat to read, what an amazing adventure you are on (and you are rather amazing yourself...). "A Year Without Ice Cubes" already sounds like a best selling travelogue or documentary film and your writing IS excellent (wit and great observation). Stay safe,have fun.....

A hug,
Aunt Lynn

  Aunt Lynn Sep 19, 2008 12:11 AM

8

I'm so sad and excited and happy about your trip I want to cryyyy!

OK. That's my comment for now. I have too many emotions to deal with that I can't come up with anything articulate.

Big hugs.

  Caroline Sep 19, 2008 12:39 AM

9

Wow, Sylvia! This all sounds fantastic. I'm so excited for you, as I know you have been wanting this for a very long time. I'll look forward to reading all about your adventures on your new blog. It looks really great! All the best to you, Jimmy

  Jimmy Taylor Sep 19, 2008 1:06 AM

10

PS Thanks for the music and the book!

  Jimmy Taylor Sep 19, 2008 1:07 AM

11

Yay! So exciting! Consider me a frequent blog reader. Hope you are having fun.

Hug an AIDS orphan for me ;-)

  Neil Sep 19, 2008 1:31 AM

12

Wow Sylvia!!
I am so so glad that I am on your list. This is the best. I will be checking frequently--- and so appreciate that you are such a wonderful writer.
Have a great trip.....for all of us!!
Pictures! pictures! Pictures!
Bravo!!!

  gail haynes Sep 19, 2008 4:37 AM

13

this is awesome!! now i can sit in the concert office and read your blogs!!!

hope you are having fun, been to S.A. once and I liked it a lot (well, the guys there helped as well..lol)

Have fun!!

  Brian Sep 19, 2008 4:56 AM

14

Sylvia...the credit card people won't talk to mom or me, you have to call them to get the card unblocked. Call collect 770 491 4064. Are you getting mom's emails?

  Sylviadad Sep 19, 2008 5:03 AM

15

Wow, thanks for all the comments, keep them coming, it's so great to hear from everyone. Mom, Dad, etc., not to worry, yes I'm getting mom's emails (I just didn't check them until tonight). I got an international cellphone today, so I will call the credit card people (actually debit people).
Why do I suddenly feel like I'm hanging all my dirty laundry out to dry?!

  sylvia_aiko Sep 19, 2008 7:23 AM

16

Sorry Sweetie. But I did get your attention after several email attempts went unnoticed. Blogging is good.
Happy trekking!

  Sylvia mom Sep 19, 2008 7:45 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.