Existing Member?

The small town girl spread's her wings “A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” – Lao Tzu

Those we meet along the way

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 3 March 2010 | Views [919] | Comments [1]

“How far we travel in life matters far less than those we meet along the way” -  Anonymous.

This quotation brings new meaning to me. I always knew that traveling wasn’t only about the places you visited but also the people you meet, but knowing something and actually living it is very different. I have met a great number of amazing people in the last few months; charming acquaintances, new friends and even been adopted into a family. These experiences and connections would not have been possible if I hadn’t made the decision to travel solo. My initial fear has vanished and has been replaced with unforgettable experiences.

Every backpacker has a story of why they are traveling and I’m always fascinated to hear them.  It seems that we travellers are very willing to tell our life story to a complete stranger.  It’s refreshing to hear a stranger's opinion, a third party that has no association; no preconception on the subject.  In addition most of us can relate to each other.  Our stories are similar; a few have lost someone special, some have had a hard year, quite a few are confused with their lives, others are just looking to enjoy life. Bottom line we are all searching for something and hoping that our journey will help us find it.

Traveling has countless rewards; experiencing new culture, exploring new scenery, meeting amazing individuals, trying new cuisine. However a reward can only be achieved by overcoming a challenge.   The challenges all revolve around stepping outside of your comfort zone. You are in an unfamiliar environment far away from the comforts of home surrounded by strangers.  I believe that’s another reason why we backpackers stick together.  We support and help each other as much we can and that’s what builds friendships. Unfortunately every good thing has to come to an end.  With traveling the end is saying goodbye to your new friends, hopefully not forever.

Thanks everyone for the memorable experiences and best of luck throughout your travels!

Miss you and love you all

xox

 

 

Comments

1

You do not have to be born royal to be a princess. All you have to be is a remarkable person. Remarkable you are!
Love you with all my heart.
God continues to Bless you and his angels protect you always.

  Papa Mar 5, 2010 12:42 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.