Existing Member?

The small town girl spread's her wings “A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” – Lao Tzu

The eighth wonder of the world

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 2 March 2010 | Views [528]

Milford sound is actually not a sound but a fiord on the west coast of New Zealand. People from all over the world come to New Zealand to see this beautiful fiord.  It is often referred to as the eighth wonder of the world and after seeing it for myself I would have to agree.  The mountains, the Waterfalls, the Tasman Sea, the rain forest and the wildlife or what make this one of the most spectacular sights I have ever seen.

The bus left early that morning, the start of a long packed day. Unfortunately the weather was not on our side.  When we left Queenstown the sun was shining but the closer we got to Milford Sound the cloudier it got.  Nothing new for me, I was actually getting use to the rain; I still don’t like it but it was obviously inevitable. The drive up to the fiord is extremely beautiful; well at least what I saw of it. Staying up late partying the night before sort of had a toll on me; I was working hard to stay awake to enjoy the view like many others on the bus.

The drive up was only the opening to the grand finale; the finish was a boat cruise away.   Arriving at Milford Sound we boarded our cruise looking forward to the hot buffet lunch.  We savoured our lunch for the first half hour and then braved the weather out on the upper deck.  We were disappointed at first, it was very misty so we couldn`t really see much. Worried we had spent all that money for nothing, we stayed optimistic.

After cruising around a little we made our way to the Underwater Observatory.  More than 10 metres beneath the fiord, the observatory gives everyone a chance to view undisturbed underwater life.  When we emerged from deep under, luck on our side, the sun was shining and the clouds were lifting. The cruise back is what really made me fall in love with this place. With the sun beaming down on us and the clouds parting you could really tell why people called it the eighth wonder of the world.  With everyone satisfied of the results, we hopped on the bus for what must have been the longest and most quiet bus ride to Queenstown.

Beautiful!

Beautiful!

 
 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.