Existing Member?

The small town girl spread's her wings “A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” – Lao Tzu

Adventure capital of the world

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 28 February 2010 | Views [780]

Queenstown is the adventure capital of the world and well deserved;  Bungy jumping, Sky diving, Canon Swing, jetboating, whitewater rafting, river surfing  you name this town has it. Unfortunately I could not afford to do any of it haha. It is also famous for its amazing nightlife, that I did get a chance to experience.  With a population of 27,100 it has 160 licensed bars and cafes, to give you an idea. It is backpacker paradise for most of us. From Adrenaline junkies to party animals to nature lovers, Queenstown is sure to accommodate them all.  

My first time in Queenstown was with the Kiwi Experience gang I had been travelling with the last week. We left Wanaka early Saturday morning even though Queenstown is only about an hour away we had a long day ahead of us.  The first stop on the agenda was Puzzle World; it reminded me of Science North back home.  We spent about an hour looking around the place and then we were off to our next destination; the Kawarau Bungy Bridge. Kawarau Bungy is the world’s first commercial bungy site. Trisha and a few others on the bus decided to take the plunge so we all sat and watch.  I really wanted to do it again but I couldn’t justify spending $130 on something I had already done.  After about an hour we were off to our final destination, Queenstown.

On arriving in town the driver pointed out a few bars and other places of interest and then we headed down to the lake for a group picture.  After the group picture the bus dropped us off at our hostel and we got settled in.  That night was our farewell night out with everyone from the bus.  We all met at the Altitude bar, which is the Base Hostel bar, to start the night off.  A few drinks and shots later we were off to the famous World bar. The World Bar is one of the most popular bars amongst backpackers when visiting Queenstown.  Recognized for their tea pots drinks, the bar also plays great music and has a nice dance floor.  We had a great last night together, a perfect way to end a great week!

The next day was spent walking around town, doing laundry and unfortunately trying to get rid of the cold I caught. That night Timo and I went in search of sushi.  I am addicted to sushi and Timo hadn’t really tried it before so we decided to treat ourselves to some really good sushi.  We found this quaint restaurant close to our hostel, the sushi was amazing!  After supper we met up with a few friends from the bus at this Irish pub. That’s where I met Nick and Trevor, who I spent most of the next week with in Wanaka. I was leaving for Wanaka the next morning so I had to say goodbye to Timo, Trisha and Sharon; strangers that had become very good friends the past week.   It is never an easy thing to do saying goodbye but I am very happy to have met theses amazing people and hope to see them again one day.

My second time in Queenstown was after spending a week in Wanaka and just before I head back to the family I stayed with during Christmas.   Camilla and I jumped on the Kiwi bus for the second time, we basically had to do everything over again but the bus was free so we couldn’t complain.  When we arrived in town, Camilla and I head out for some sushi and to get drinks for the night.  When we got back Nick, Trevor, Geoff and Geoff’s brother came to met us in my room for some pre drinking.  After maybe a few too many drinks, lots of good laughs and having to change my bed because Camilla dropped red wine on it, it was time for us to head out to the bar.  It was a night like many others in Queenstown, everyone having a great time enjoying each other’s company; unfortunately it had to end early for me I was going to Milford Sound early the next morning.   That story will be in the next post.

Back from Milford Sound at around 8 pm I met up with Camilla, Geoff and Nick for one last night out in Queenstown.  We all met up in Camilla and Geoff’s room for a few drinks before heading into town.  We decided to try a different bar that night; walking in town we found this small bar with live music so we decided to give it a go. We had a few drinks, enjoyed the live music and danced away.  Next stop was the World Bar for one last time. A few tea pots and dancing later we were off to Fergburger. If ever in New Zealand you need to get to Queenstown find Fergburger and line up behind the crazy line, I promise it will be worth it. This was by far the best burger I ever had.  After the burgers it was time to call it a night. Last night in Queenstown meant the same scenario I still haven’t got use to; saying goodbye to my new friends and promising to stay in touch. 

@ the Irish pub
Nick, Timo, me, Sharron, Maria, Trisha and Trevor

@ the Irish pub Nick, Timo, me, Sharron, Maria, Trisha and Trevor

 
 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.