Existing Member?

The small town girl spread's her wings “A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.” – Lao Tzu

Have I died and gone to beach heaven?

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 17 December 2009 | Views [713]

Ok maybe a little exaggerated but still my favourite spot so far.

Even though most of our time was spent enjoying the sun and having a few drinks I did go on the Dolphin Adventure trip.  I was planning on swimming with them but that doesn’t always work out :( So hopefully I will have the opportunity to do it again in the South Island. But I did see some dolphins so that was an awesome experience.

I also did this day trip to Cape Reinga. Cape Reinga is at the very north of the North Island. It’s where the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean collide. You can actually see the two seas clash when you are at the Lighthouse.(see pictures posted) Cape Reinga does have more of a spiritual meaning to the Maori they say that the cape is the point where the spirits of the dead travel to on their journey to the afterlife. Lots of people travel here to make peace with their loved ones who have passed away. Whatever your beliefs are this place is absolutely breath taking.  

During this day trip we went to Gumdiggers Park, which is  an ancient buried Kauri forest.  Everyone who hugs a Kauri tree is said to obtain good luck.  Lets hope it works ;) We also went to the Sand Dunes to do some boogie boarding.  That was awesome…I can officially say I went sliding down snow and sand lol  The last part of our trip was the 90 mile beach  (which is actually 60 miles).  The beach is a recreational highway…cars and bus actually drive on the beach.  It is very beautiful :)

Like I said I love this place and could have probably stayed longer but there is more to see :)

The Bay of Islands is situated in the North of the North Island.  I loved it so much I stayed a week :) I spent most of my time relaxing on the beach working on my tan.  When they said that the sun in NZ is really bad they weren’t kidding. If I don’t wear 30 and reapply every few hours I burn.  Never thought I would tan with 30 on hehe.  I met lots of great ppl in the Bay of Islands, some I will be meeting again in the South Island so looking forward to that.
Amazing :)

Amazing :)

 
 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.