Existing Member?

Tales of a red-soled climbing gypsy Follow me and together we will find the world #redsoledtraveler #talesofaredsoledclimbinggypsy

A Laotian New Year's Eve

LAOS | Thursday, 31 December 2015 | Views [446]

After a quick sleep in Bangkok I met the GFF group at the airport. In amps attempt to deal with numerous confusing interactions with airport people who had no idea what I was saying and vice versa, wrong directions, and utter confusion and chaos; I found the hotel that I was supposed to be at and unloaded my pack. We took an hour flight to Laos. As we landed I was struck with how beautiful and raw the landscape was. It was a picture right out of a national geographic magazine with its green, lush foliage and mountains and covered with canopies with jungles and the imagination of wild tigers and bears skulking in its shadows. As we got off the plane, we proceeded to the lines for visas and immigration. Wow there were crowds of people, but we fought through and got on the road to our hotel. The drive through the villages to get to our place of rest was such a stark contrast to the busyness and urban flow of Bangkok, showing the first glimpse into what we were to experience and fall in love with.

It being NYE, our hotel provided a dinner to ring in the new year. To say that I was unprepared for an event such as this would be the understatement for the year (thank goodness there was only one day left, but still) but I did my best to look like a little less like a California girl fresh off a plane. It was a great way to meet the rest of my traveling companions and get to know them over laden tables with seafood and various meats prepared in the local flair. Needless to say I didn't eat much. As people munched, the show started with Laos women doing different dances from the surrounding villages and decades and local music. As the night progressed, diners slowly trickled to their rooms unable to make it to the bitter end. 

By the time 12:00 hit, our own group dwindled from 11 to 3, and because we fought to the bitter end to ring in the new year the 3 of us created quite the bond that would lead to laughter and a few shenanigans. A first to ring in the new year abroad and so excited to see what it will bring. 5 minutes later we all headed to bed because a 5:30 wake up was going to be a little rough to say the least.

Tags: laos, nye, travels

 

About sweetcheeks03


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.