Existing Member?

Tales from Sri Lanka

Cool Breeze

SRI LANKA | Tuesday, 15 July 2008 | Views [839]

Bob Marley's son!

Bob Marley's son!

Wonderful, glorious cool weather! I didn’t think I could be happy to see cloudy grey skies, but I am. The coolness and the breeze seem to have swept away yesterdays lethargy and today we are all new people.

This is my last day working at Titus’ house. We managed to do quite a lot today and started smashing up the concrete floors. Titus told me as I was leaving that the house we were tearing down had stood for over 75 years. It’s a little sad to think that it could all be wiped out in a matter of seconds, changing the lives of Titus and his family completely. Apparently 150 houses were wiped out in Kosgoda. Around 100 of these have been rebuilt, leaving quite a few more to be rebuilt.

As we took a break from working, Titus gave us some of his coconuts to drink again. Hurrah for coconuts!

In the afternoon I had the kids again, only two today, Lazantha and Sandu. Maybe I'm scaring the others off? But I take solace in the fact that quite a few were missing from the other classes as well.

Today we leant the time. I’m not sure how much of this the boys picked up, especially Sandu who was convinced that the word ‘o’clock’ was actually ‘tock tock’, no matter how many times we said it.

After we finished learning time, I brought out the game, ‘barrel of monkey’s’ – where you have to pick up all the small plastic monkeys by linking their arms together and not dropping them. Why didn’t I bring this game out earlier? They where so excited to have a new game to play and totally addicted to it. We even managed to do numbers and addition in English without them realising they were learning! Brilliant!

After class, a few of the older boys who are about 15-16 start talking to a few of us. They are trying to convince us they are 18. Hmmmmmm. They start giggling and one says that he is married with two childen (which he isn't), so I tell them that i'm married to cricketer Ricky Ponting. They're is stiches laughing, then one pipes up 'yeah, and I'm Bob Marely's son'. Touche!

About susannah_palk

yummo, coconut!!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Sri Lanka

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.