Existing Member?

Tales from Sri Lanka

Back to work

SRI LANKA | Monday, 14 July 2008 | Views [674]

Well, I guess it was inevitable - I have the runs. No trip to Asia would be complete without it I guess. (Sorry to all those who may be offended by the the inner workings of my bowels.)

So after a rather sleepless night I get dressed in my now rather smelly and mud-caked work clothes to head to Titus’ house. Everyone is a bit exhausted today. I think it is a combination of a big weekend and the unrelenting heat. More hauling bricks today, although there is a breakthrough. By the end of the morning we have knocked down the last of the foundations, which were the really tough bits. Not quite sure what we will be doing tomorrow, although quite a bit still needs to be cleared.

I managed to speak with Titus for a couple of minutes today about what happened to him when the Tsunami hit. He tells me that on that day he was further inland looking for work when someone started yelling that the water was receding and that a huge wave was hitting the coastline of Asia. (Because of their position, many on the southwest of Sri Lanka had a 45-minute warning about the oncoming Tsunami.) Titus ran back home, collected his family and headed inland. When he returned home a week later, there was nothing left of his home except for the foundations we have been knocking down.

Due to new laws passed immediately after the Tsunami hit, Titus could not receive any funding to rebuild his house. The new law stated anyone rebuilding homes 100 meters or less from the water would not receive funding. Titus and many other like him could not afford to by new land further way and had no money for rebuilding. After about six months the law was changed from a restriction of 100 meters to 50 meters. But it was too late for Titus, when he was finally eligible for money, most of the funds had dried up.

He and his family have been living in the make shift huts for three and a half years now, as they wait for their house to be rebuilt. Titus shows me the plans of the new house he hopes to build. But with no money for building materials it is uncertain when his house will actually get built. Unfortunately Titus is not the only one in this situation.

Back at the community centre it is time for classes again. Today I only have three kids again. Lazantha, Dimadoo and Sandu. Today we are doing transportation and after their giggles at my pretty poor pictures of a motorcycle and a tuk tuk we get down to work, with a few stickers thrown in for good measure.

I am just starting to get to know the boys, so it is quite sad to think I only have two more classes left with them. I also feel bad at the thought that they must go through so many teachers all the time.

Am wiped out after today. Looking forward to some more Imodium and bed!

About susannah_palk

yummo, coconut!!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Sri Lanka

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.