Existing Member?

Stock Market Nomad Financing world travel as I go by trading stocks online - that's the plan!

Tokyo!

JAPAN | Sunday, 7 August 2005 | Views [699]

After reading about it, watching it on TV, and otherwise learning about this futuristic city from afar, I would finally get to see it with my own eyes. There I was, leaving Yokosuka and its naval base on the train bound for Tokyo. Familiar names along the way, Yokohama and Kawasaki, turned into actual places as I looked out the window.

First stop: Tokyo Tower

If you've ever seen a single episode of Sailor Moon or about a hundred different anime, you'll probably recognize Tokyo Tower. Though it's not as famous as its older cousin, the Eiffel Tower, Tokyo Tower is taller, and undeniably colorful. From the observation platform, you can get a great 360 degree view of central Tokyo. Check it out!

Fast-food pride

While grabbing some lunch at Tokyo Tower, I read something unusual on the back of a Pizza-La Express plastic cup:
"The rich taste of Pizza-La Express is the result of our Kitchen staff's culinary skills and creativity. We put our hard work into each piece of pizza and dishes we serve."

You usually don't hear that at a fast-food place in the States! And it isn't just talk. Their pizza is good, too. For example, I tried a slice of their "Ebi-Mayo" pizza. While I had some initial doubts about fried shrimp and mayonnaise on pizza, I am always up for trying new things. As it turns out, creativity tastes delicious!

Near the foot of Tokyo Tower lies the burial grounds of the Tokugawa family. The Tokugawa shogunate ruled Japan from the late 1400's until the Meiji restoration, shortly after the arrival of the Americans in Yokosuka. The Warring States period and Tokugawa periods of Japan are best known for the samurai, who came to prominence during this time.

Ginza

Imagine New York City's 57th St times 10, and that's the Ginza in Tokyo. There must be a lot of money floating around. Every luxury brand imaginable has a store here. Most of the streets were closed off to allow shoppers to walk freely. And so I did. Straight down the middle of the street. :-)

Akihabara

The Mecca of electronics. For example, I needed a male-male mic-headphone cable to plug my voice recorder to my PC. I found it in one minute upon arriving at Akihabara. It is a sea of electronics. It takes a lot of willpower not to buy everything! I did, however, succumb to buying a copy of Street Fighter 3 Third Strike for my Japanese PS2 (I left my American copy back home). Old habits die hard!

Tags: Adventures

 

About stock_market_nomad

There are two lions outside of the Hong Kong Shanghai Bank building. 
Touch the lion's paw for good luck!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.