Existing Member?

Stock Market Nomad Financing world travel as I go by trading stocks online - that's the plan!

Japanese art comes to life

JAPAN | Sunday, 9 October 2005 | Views [635]

Ukiyo-e woodblock prints are some of the most well-known examples of Japanese art in the West. Mostly made during the Edo period of Japan, two of the heavyweights in this artistic arena are:

Hokusai
"Thirty-six Views of Mt Fuji"
The most famous of these is "The Great Wave off the Coast of Kanagawa"

Hiroshige
"Fifty-two Stages of the Tokaido Road"

These masterpieces of Japanese art, along with many others, were on display at the Fukuoka City Museum. What's funny, though, is how I found out about it. On one visit to the train station, I happened upon a train magazine. Mind you, I can't read much Japanese, but I saw a picture of "The Great Wave," and what appeared to be exhibition times. Immediately, I said to myself, "I've got to go!"

I can still recall the first time I saw "The Great Wave" - it was in a book at a thrift shop when I was maybe 6 or 7 years old. I remember thinking how intricate and detailed it was, and how it appealed to me. It helped to fuel my fascination with Japan, which has enabled me to see so much.

Finally getting the chance to see it for real felt like I had finally accomplished a lifelong dream. Not only had I managed to make it to Japan, but I had actually seen something truly special.

Tags: Sightseeing

 

About stock_market_nomad

There are two lions outside of the Hong Kong Shanghai Bank building. 
Touch the lion's paw for good luck!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.