Existing Member?

where in the world is steph.... Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -- Mary Oliver

Beijing the Begining

CHINA | Thursday, 31 July 2008 | Views [515]

Nee how....
I have arrived in Beijing, and believe it or not, so did my luggage. Already things are off to a great start!
Staying in Media Village, much more comfortable than Torino. Things are moving along, jumped into work the day after I arrived, though haven't seemed to suffer much from jet lag.
 
Yes, it is hot. But really hasn't seemed so bad, though I would really like the air conditioning in my venue to work properly. Today it rained most of the day. That's almost worse than the heat, as it's the humidity than kills me.
 
I haven't had a chance to do much other than work so far. But (fingers crossed), it looks like i might get out to the wall tomorrow! So excited.
They may say that Thailand is the "land of smiles", but I have to say, so far China has them beat. The Chinese I am working with are great, they actually ask "how can I help"...The first day Sally (the other manager at my venue) and I kept hugging each other and asking if it could be real, staff who not only worked, but where eager! My venue is actually for three different venues; gymnastics, swimming, and diving all come to me for food. Its going to be a lot of work, but we have lots of staff this time. So far no hives, though a few blisters on the feet.....definitely minor!!!!!!
 
I went to Tesco Lotus the other day (ahhhh how I missed Tesco), and there was a sign for a Thai food festival. I had to laugh.
I don't really have much internet access, so it may be awhile before I write again, But on the upside I should have something more interesting to write about than work (I'll spare you details on the health check up I had to do this morning at the CDC......but let just say there were lots of poo jokes going around our group, and lots of very odd pictures of people in an xray machine......)
practicing my Chinese daily. Today we were trading Thai, Chinese, and English words....not to mention I have to speak Australian too.....

About stephhef


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.