Existing Member?

where in the world is steph.... Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -- Mary Oliver

jet lagged and lacking good title

THAILAND | Tuesday, 9 January 2007 | Views [696] | Comments [3]

After five flights and two airport sleepovers I finally have arrived in Chiang Mai, Thailand. All of my luggage made it, I was shocked every time I saw it come down the conveyer belt! I credit those long layovers for their timely arrival. After a quick nap, a hot shower, and a little unpacking, I was off to get my bearings. Right now it takes me about 45 minutes to walk to my school, although I am sure that this will improve once I have a better idea of shortcuts and have the art of crossing the street mastered. I am considering braving the streets on a bicycle. We’ll see. After a stroll around the moat area, and many pictures, I headed back to my guesthouse for some much needed sleep. I laid down to take a nap around 3 PM, and woke up at 2 AM. 2 AM and very hungry. I had managed to miss every meal except for the interesting lactose free meal on my flight that morning. I read for awhile, managing to fall back asleep and woke up at a reasonable time this morning. There are several coffee shops down the street, and for a little less than $1.00 I can get my soy latte.

     So far I like Chiang Mai. The people all seem very friendly, the place that I am staying not fancy but comfortable, and it isn’t too terribly hot. Wish I had a bit more time to explore before school starts tomorrow. I am in that mode that everything seems very interesting, and can’t wait to see/do more.

Yesterday on my flight to Chiang Mai, six monks were on my flight, in first class. Upon arrival, two of them took out cell phones. I had to laugh; I just might be the only one here without one.

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Wasn't Davey Jones the cutest Monk?
Safe travels.
PS - How come Carlsbad isn't on your "Where I've been" list?

  Aunt Linda Jan 12, 2007 10:39 AM

2

Love the update. Can't wait to hear more and see more pictures. If you are going to be in Thailand for a while, maybe we could come visit. :) Talk to you soon!!

  Kari Jan 12, 2007 11:08 AM

3

Don't you love Thailand? I hope you get to explore more of the country than just Chang Mai. You're going to love the Novices (monks in training) who will be your students. I'm a little jealous. :o) Keep writing so we can all live vicariously through you. Thinking warm thoughts of you here in blustery Colorado!

  Amanda Jan 12, 2007 12:47 PM

About stephhef


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.