Existing Member?

where in the world is steph.... Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -- Mary Oliver

late night treats

THAILAND | Thursday, 3 April 2008 | Views [714]

    I round the corner while popping a hot coconut milk ball (khnom krok) into my mouth. The sidewalk is empty, the market to my left gated and silent.

    There is still one shop, gates thrown wide open, light spilling onto the street. In the stream of light, a woman stoops, spoon in hand, a small bowl in the other. She is cooing at a toddler who is slowing moving towards the center of the sidewalk. The child is paying no attention to the familiar woman, and instead is focuses on the gates of the shop next door.

    Standing at the edge of the store is a man whose teeth seem unable to pick a direction, he’s grinning. The store is filled with large yellow candles, shrines, silver and gold offering bowels catching the dim light from inside. I pass waving at the little girl whose eyes are now transfixed on me.

    “Sawadii-kha” I say before pooping the other half of the coconut milk ball into my mouth. The girl’s face scrunches and it seems inevitable that a scream is going to escape, when the woman swoops in. Rather than comforting the toddler in a hug or embrace, she grabs the girl’s hand. “Say Hello, Say Hello!”

    The girl is frozen, unsure of what to do next. I have stopped, and crouched down, so I am more or less at the toddler’s eye level. I hear “kiss, kiss” and the girl is galloping towards me, and plants a wet kiss on my cheek. Her smile is larger than the old man’s and everyone is laughing.

    I stand and before I round the corner look back to see the woman extending the spoon towards the girl again. Only this time she takes it into her mouth, her eyes following me.

About stephhef


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.