Existing Member?

where in the world is steph.... Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -- Mary Oliver

And the good news is...I don't have epilepsy!

THAILAND | Saturday, 15 December 2007 | Views [4178] | Comments [2]

Two days later...less swelling and before the black eyes

Two days later...less swelling and before the black eyes

Yep, that’s right. Contrary to what you may believe, but I have the hospital records to prove it. My favorite part of my three days in the hospital, all the food my friends brought me (I ate NO hospital food!). My least favorite part: people poking at my head wounds inducing mass amounts of tears, and then asking me “What’s wrong?”, as if there is no valid reason that water should be shooting out of my eyes and collecting in large pools on the floor. Oh, but I guess I am getting ahead of myself.

It was exactly one week before I was to leave for my Christmas vacation in Cambodia. I had a to do list as long as my arm, and instead I decided to take the day off, and relax. I spent most of the day reading and drinking tea. I went to a restaurant not far from my house for dinner. I choose it because I could sit outside and watch the Sunday Walking Street action. After a leisurely dinner, reading, and people watching, I unsuspectingly asked for the bill. (In hindsight I should have waited, maybe I would have gotten a free meal out of it all….opportunity missed!)

While waiting for the change, everything went wrong. I remember not feeling right, and putting my head on the table. The next thing I knew, I had the most intense headache I have ever had, so intense that I remember not being able to comprehend the pain first, and then not sure if I could stay conscious because it was so unbelievably extreme. Then I realized that there was a great deal of pain in my tongue, do to my healthy teeth digging into it. I told myself to stop biting my own tongue and about that time I started to hear people shouting. I tried to open my eyes, and I saw a black shoe, and then I was out again.

When I came to, I was sitting on the ground, sobbing, hyperventilating, and in the center of a crowd. I had a person holding each arm, someone rubbing my back, someone rubbing my chest, about 20 people holding different smelly substances in front of my nose, a person holding a cold napkin to my forehead, and another person holding one to the back of my head. There was blood, noise, and despite my best efforts, I failed to understand ANY Thai being spoken in my vicinity. What can I say, I know how to get attention.

At first I refused an ambulance, but once I realized how much my head was bleeding, I decided it was easier just to give in. So an ambulance was called, my landlord called, and the kind man holding my forehead packed up all my belongings (including my change from the bill), made sure my purse was shut, and put it on my lap, wrapping my hands around it, I don’t think he ever said a word to me, but I do remember him smiling every once in awhile. I remember a group of foreigners trying to be helpful giving me advice, but all it really seemed like was strange people groping me, pulling at my shirt and sticking their face in mine.

The ambulance ride was a hoot. It was actually in the back of a truck with a canopy on it that I crawled into and laid on the stretcher. The medic (who was probably just doing it for merit) kept waving smelling salts above my nose. The noise was atrocious; the light inside kept flashing on and off, the medic repeatedly hitting it to try to get it to stay on. I made a joke about it being a disco, to which everyone laughed. The truck got stuck in some Soi somewhere, so everyone (but me) jumped out, to maneuver and move some cars. There were no straps on the stretcher, so every time we turned the corner, the medic leaned over me, holding me onto the stretcher. There was also a person in street clothes sitting on my feet. Seriously, I couldn’t make this stuff up.

When I got the hospital, I was placed in the middle of the Emergency Room waiting room facing the TV. I was hooked up to a blood pressure machine that looked like some archaic torture device, which cut off the circulation in my arm. Someone stood above me pouring alcohol on my bleeding head, and cutting my hair. I would love to see what my blood pressure reading was there.

I was taken to a room, where an IV was put in my an ungloved nurse, and the doctor talked to me for two minutes before telling me I had to spend the night in the hospital. My leg and my head on the right side were cleaned and bandaged. However, cleaned not were my forehead and my nasty, bloody, skin flapping toe, despite my repeated requests.

I was wheeled up to my room, where five people “helped” me into bed (i.e. watched me struggle from the gurney to the bed on my own, shoes on, and unable to move my neck), and three people changed my clothes for me….yep, three. (Side note: my wonderful laundry lady got ALL of the blood stains out of the light blue and white clothes that I was wearing that day, a week after the accident! See there are some exceptionally good things about living in Thailand.)

Later I discovered that the hair cut from my head, had been conveniently left mixed in with my still attached hair for some future purpose that I am still unaware of. Ratted and caked with blood, I was afraid that I had another cut on my head that hadn’t been caught by the staff. But that mystery was solved when a friend was brushing my hair and started pulling out hair by, what seemed like at the time, handfuls.

The night was pretty uneventful, with just groups of people coming in to turn on all the lights in the room, and check my blood pressure and temperature. The next morning brought the entire hospital staff through my room for one reason or another. Including my doctor, who asked me where I hurt. I pointed to my bloody, swollen forehead, back of the head, and neck (which I still couldn’t move). I was told that was because of my fall, and he proceed to press on my diaphragm and asked if it hurt there. Ummm, no. He seemed a bit disappointed that it hurt where there were bruises, swelling, and blood. (Ok, if he had pushed on some internal organs, I might have understood. But seriously, my diaphragm was the only thing he pushed on.) After blessing me with his presence for no more than two minutes, he left me to rest and wait for the neurologist.

The neurologist actually spent a whole five minutes with me. In that amount of time he diagnosed me with epilepsy (“You have epilepsy. I think this because migraines and epilepsy are related, and you have migraines.”). I choked back the laughter, not wanting to be rude. He ordered an EEG and told me after the test I would finally be aloud some pain killers.

***Let me just briefly say here, that my head felt as if it were about to explode. I was sleeping with the blinds shut, I couldn’t handle the noise from the TV, and when shear boredom hit could manage to read for about five minutes before feeling a wave of nausea and realizing that I had no idea what I had just read.

The nurse came in and told me I had to wash my hair and offered to help. She had me bend over, all the blood rushing to my pounding head, and proceed to attack every sore point on my head. When she realized I was crying, she honestly seemed confused and asked me why. Let me see, you just forced my neck into a position that I was unable to accomplish on my own, you pressed on every bump on my head, and pored shampoo into my open wounds. Despite this, I found her and all the female staff very sweet, and what they truly felt was helpful.

Other highlights from my visit included the EEG, with the electrodes stuck in and on all my head wounds, the nurses arguing over who was prettier, being told by every nurse that she wanted to learn English, being on a first name basis with all the staff in the nurses station, even the staff that didn’t speak English, and being forced to spend a second unrestful night to see a neurologist the next day who never showed up, and finally the nurses, orderlies, and cleaning staff who came in my room the third day, sitting and watching Mr. Bean with me.

The real highlight was the second night when I broke a glass; the cleaning staff was called in. The first group came in and changed my sheets, the second came in to give me new clothes, and the third group came in barefoot to clean up the glass and water off the floor. I couldn’t believe it. I looked around the corner into the hall, just to see if maybe they had left their shoes in front of my door. But there were no shoes visible. Barefoot in a hospital, it still makes me shake my head.

I was completely bored the third day. All of the pictures were taking this day (except the night pictures, someone else took those with my camera), while trying to pass the time waiting for the neurologist who never showed. The swelling had gone down considerably, and I could actually move some muscles in my neck and forehead by then. This was also the day before the black eyes showed up, so I was looking pretty good at this point. Admittedly they were pretty lame bumps and bruises for a two night stay in the hospital.

I was never really given a diagnosis, and on the third day when I asked the doctor for advice and information, I was told not to stand up too quickly next time. I wanted to slap him, as I had been sitting down with my head on a table when this happened. All in all it could have been worse. There were the kind strangers who stopped the blood and made sure my purse wasn’t stolen. I had a parade of friends who came to visit and brought food, and plenty more who would have come if I called. And if nothing else, I was left with a couple humorous stories.

Tags: non-tag

Comments

1

Steph, your experience sounds awful even though you can laugh aboput it. How scary to have that happen so far from home. Also scary that you don't have a real diagnosis. Think of you every day and will be glad when May gets here. Love ya G

  Grandma Jan 26, 2008 12:11 AM

2

Hi Steph

You don't know me, but i've been reading your posts for months, before, during and after i was volunteering and 'travellin' through S.E Asia.

I love your humour and insight, i hope you are well - take care

  Fred May 15, 2008 4:54 PM

About stephhef


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.