Existing Member?

where in the world is steph.... Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -- Mary Oliver

Yi Peng Festival

THAILAND | Friday, 30 November 2007 | Views [4982] | Comments [3]

I raced home from school, not bothering to even go to my room and put my things away and rather just left them in my basket. I had a van to catch. I was invited to go to Mae Jo for the Yi Peng festival. Thousands of lit paper lanterns are released at the same moment into the sky. This Buddhist holiday may be horrible for the environment, but is amazing to witness and be a part of anyway.

Highlights from the trip included traffic, parking in a field and walking along side the parade, seeing students and numerous other people we know, sitting on the grass for several hours, good conversation (in other news, Thailand burned down today…), cotton candy and 7-11 cookies.

Oh, did I mention the giant paper lanterns all simultaneously let into the sky? There is no doubt about it, that was the highlight. After chanting and meditation led by some monks, thousands of paper lanterns were lit. We were told to make a wish and release our enormous paper lanterns into the sky. It was amazing to stand among the lanterns as they were being lit. The temperature began to rise in the space between lanterns as we waited for enough hot air to build up. When were told the moment to let go, well there is no way to really explain it.

As the lanterns all around you lift up, you are drawn to the sky. For a moment, you too feel like you are starting to float away. This intense wave of happiness flowed through me and everyone I talked to about it. It was actually one of the most overwhelming experiences I have had. I didn’t know where to look, let along have the ability to focus my camera. As a result, there unfortunately are numerous shots of swirling lights.

We watched the lanterns float up into the sky in what seemed a never ending line. The breeze blowing them up and off into the distance, away from the nearly full moon. People continued to let off lanterns on their own, and we watched them drift to join the others that now were starting to resemble the stars in the Milky Way. There was a brief fireworks show, in which we spent most of our time wondering why the lanterns stuck in the trees didn’t start fires.

After lighting our last lantern and watching it join the others in the inky black sky, we joined to mob headed back to the parking areas. We prayed that we wouldn’t get hit by some kid’s fireworks along the way, and miraculously made it out alive and intact. After getting home, I sat on the balcony for an hour, watching the night sky fill with paper lanterns and fireworks.

Tags: non-tag

Comments

1

Dear Stephi,
You are really a good writer, you know that, reading your description of the Yi Peng Festival one can imagine perfectly being there.
I just wanted to thank you are sharing with us these wonderful experiences in Thailand.
Good luck, and keep writing, please.
Kisses from Spain,
Silvia

  Silvia Dec 3, 2007 5:07 AM

2

Steph,
The Yi Peng Festival sounds like a moving experience. It is great to know that you are exploring the world and having a great time. Maybe one day you will travel back to Oregon and we can have lunch or something.

~ Ryan

  Ryan Dec 3, 2007 6:34 AM

3

Just so you know, I showed some of this pictures to Mike Driscoll at your mom's old ranger district. I guess he was at the same festival as he was commenting on taking the "exact same pictures" you've been showing on your website.

Be good, bill

  Bill Tremblay Jan 12, 2008 9:39 AM

About stephhef


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.