Existing Member?

2 Girls, 2 Backpacks, 1 Adventure of a Lifetime

Hopping the Greek islands

GREECE | Thursday, 17 May 2012 | Views [892] | Comments [2]

After the hustle and bustle of Turkey we were ready to soak up the sun and the sea on the Greek Islands. Our first destination - the "party island" of Ios. Getting there meant hopping between a few islands, and on the 2nd of May we finally disembarked from the ferry and were whisked to every party-going backpackers dream- Far Out Beach Club. This resort (you can't call it a hostel) had everything from a bar to a water sports centre. We had barely unpacked our bags when we were invited by the Far Out residents to join them for dinner and the island’s main attraction- the nightlife.

As it is not yet high season and not many bars are open, the night begins at the inventively named "Fun Pub". The company includes a mix of locals, backpackers and temporary island refugees - travellers who get so sucked into the excitement of the island nightlife that they decide to stay on and work for the season. After a few beverages, the crowd then progresses in a group from one bar to the next, getting rowdier as the night goes on. The night ends when (or well past when) the sun comes up, with a long and scenic stumble home along the beach. There is no rest for the wicked, with the same process repeated every night after a long afternoon nursing a hangover by the pool. 

As self-confessed foodies, we can’t write this blog without mentioning our favourite Greek restaurant named Fiesta, which was perched on the cliffs outside of the village in Ios. Owned by a lovely English woman named Lorna, and her talented Greek husband/chef. Lorna arrived in Ios when she was 19, seeking travel and adventure, only to instead find a husband and a place she never wanted to leave. 30 years later, her restaurant is home to the most delicious moussaka we have ever tasted. Moussaka is a Mediterranean dish similar to lasagne, with layers of eggplant, mince, potato and béchamel sauce. The only thing we can complain about is that it has now ruined all other moussaka for us. If you ever visit Ios, make sure you try it!

We were curious as to what else the island of Ios had to offer, so we dragged ourselves away from the pool for one day to explore it with the help of quad bikes. The island is incredibly beautiful, and we thought it was a shame that not many other backpackers attempt to see it. The day brought us to Homer (the famous Greek poet)’s tomb, and a deserted beach. We felt like we had actually earned our beverages that night!

The next stop on our Greek island tour was the famous Santorini. The white houses with blue roofs balanced precariously on the cliffs are the signature feature of the island. They are made famous by movies such as Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, Mamma Mia and Tomb Raider 2. This is only one small part of the island called Oia, which is a popular destination for honeymooners, but a little out of our price range. The rest of Santorini isn’t quite as picturesque as you would expect, with older, less lively villages and not as much to see or do.

We managed to make it to the main attractions of Santorini in the few short days that we were there. Oia boasts the most stunning sunset in the world, so we decided to enjoy it in true backpacker style. Sitting amongst the romantic couples with our store bought bread and bottle of wine; we wouldn’t have traded it for the most expensive restaurant in Oia. Despite being sceptical at first (we’ve seen a lot of sunsets) we were impressed. We also made a day trip to the island’s dormant volcano and thermal springs. Santorini used to be much larger, but a volcanic eruption thousands of years ago resulted in a huge crater in the middle of the island, called the Caldera ring, which is now filled by ocean.

Due to the current economic climate in Greece, we were hesitant to cross-overland mainland Greece to reach our next destination. After locating cheap flights Rome became our next port of call, so we bid Yassas (goodbye in Greek) and bonjourno to Italy! 

Until next time, Ash and Soph x

Tags: greece

Comments

1

Wow thanks for the great blog again girls,This makes me want to go there,sound so wonderful.Until your next blog adventure happy and safe travel girls.

  sue durand May 17, 2012 6:01 AM

2

I hope you don't mind but I stole your recommendation for Fiesta and put it in Wenzani. You snooze, you loose! :p

  Jared May 17, 2012 5:47 PM

About sophv


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.