Existing Member?

2 Girls, 2 Backpacks, 1 Adventure of a Lifetime

Working (and eating) our way through Italy

ITALY | Tuesday, 22 May 2012 | Views [879] | Comments [8]

With some apprehension we pressed the intercom to our hostel and walked up the stairs to the first floor of a dingy, old apartment building in the centre of Rome. We had read mixed reviews about this hostel (with rumours of bed bugs...) but the price and location was too hard to pass by so we took a risk. As we opened the door and lugged our bags through we were greeted by a stream of Italian, ending in, “Spaghetti and disco party tonight, all free! You’ll be here?” Being both hungry and thirsty we readily agreed, and were soon sitting at a long table with our fellow backpackers and techno music pumping in our ears. What a welcome to Rome!

The next day, feeling more than a little sorry for ourselves, we were kicked out of our hostel for cleaning at what we felt was an ungodly hour (11 am). Forced to go sightseeing, we set off down the street without much direction, and stumbled into the colosseum. Towering above us, the sheer size and completeness of the ancient stadium is astounding, even for Ash on her third visit to Rome. After walking around its perimeter we continued our wanderings, passing through the public square Piazza Navona, and ending in Castel Sant’ Angelo (think Angels and Demons). It’s hard not to fall in love with Rome, which is vibrant, cultural, mysterious and ancient. There is history at every turn, and it often feels as though you have gone back in time. You wouldn’t blink an eye if you passed a Roman gladiator (in fact you do constantly, as people seem to enjoy dressing as them and trying to convince you to take a photo). We definitely didn’t spend long enough in Rome to do it justice as we needed to keep pressing on to northern Italy, but Sophie vowed to come back and explore the city properly on her next visit.

On route to our first farm stay, we stopped in the city of Bologna for few days. Bologna is home to the world’s oldest university, and also the birthplace of Bolognese sauce (or ‘ragu’ in Italian). During our stay we sampled both of these sides of the city, browsing the many museums and basilicas on the university side, and doing our best to eat meals the way Italians do. This usually involves multiple courses enjoyed slowly with a glass of wine, though we often struggled with the slow part. However as they say, practice makes perfect, and we aim to master this by the end of our Italy stay.

Upon embarking on this adventure we had planned, for both saving money and cultural purposes, to take advantage of a program called help exchange (or Help X). This allows travellers to work in exchange for food and board in a variety of farms, hostels, ranches etc. We organised to stay and work on a farm not far from Bologna, near the village Dozza. We arrived on the 13th of May, excited to escape from hostels for a week, and enjoy getting stuck into some work (and some Italian home cooked meals). We definitely weren’t disappointed by either. The farm is owned by an English/Italian family, Davide and Victoria, and their two young children. It is primarily a hobby farm that produces grapes, cherries, ricotta from their own goats, and other vegetables. The family is also currently renovating part of their house involving mostly "manly" work with various power tools. All of these things kept us more than busy during our time there.

Our typical day usually started at 8 am, when we trekked up the hill to collect weeds for the goats’ breakfast. The rest of the morning we spent cleaning, gardening, painting, fencing, restoring furniture and doing some housework, before stopping at midday to cook the men and ourselves lunch. Italians really do seem to eat pasta for every meal, and its amazing the variations of pasta that we were able to concoct during the week. On one particularly ‘empty pantry’ day, Sophie created a tinned tuna and mackerel cream pasta, which was surprisingly delicious. The rest of the day is filled up with odd jobs before the girls come home and demanded everyone’s attention. Dinner is usually, you guessed it, more pasta, and a few glasses of wine before dragging our hard worked selves to bed.

We really enjoyed our stay with the family and we were sad to stay goodbye. However, after 10 days we were more than ready to get our backpacks back on, and set off in search of our next Italian adventure.

Until next time,

Ash and Soph xo

Tags: farm stay, help x, italy, rome

Comments

1

I'm getting hungry just thinking about Sophie's "surprisingly delicious" pasta (Did that sentence sound a bit dodgy? I think it might just be me)

  David May 22, 2012 6:16 AM

2

I would love to see the furniture that aisling renovated

  Derv May 22, 2012 8:04 AM

3

These girls are really having a great time back packing and staying in some wonderful places. Luv the farm stay what a great idea. Happy travelling girls and keep the amazing blogs coming.

  sue durand May 22, 2012 9:36 AM

4

Did you eat any Pizza in Italy?!?

  Jared May 22, 2012 10:42 AM

5

Well that sounds like another amazing adventure, the more I read, the more I think backpacking would be the way to see the world. Loving the blogs, they seem to transport me to your exact location. If only I could close my eyes and read at the same time. ha xx.

  Belinda Simpson May 23, 2012 10:18 AM

6

It would be more surprising if Ash cooked it

  Ash's Mum May 24, 2012 9:31 PM

7

i like how many times wine was mentioned in this one!

  Alyce May 27, 2012 10:04 AM

8

Hi Sophie, loved your blog on Rome and Bologna,..... makes me want to jump on a plane take off with Pete on another holiday. Well if we choose Europe for our next trip I will know who to get travel advice off . Looking forward to your next story xox Wendy

  Wendy Hotchkiss Jun 10, 2012 10:09 AM

About sophv


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.