Existing Member?

Mustache South

Entry 18: Lanquin – Lake Atitlan

MEXICO | Wednesday, 2 April 2014 | Views [783]

best shower view...ever!

best shower view...ever!

I split Flores, stopped for the night in Chisec and then traveled along potholed roads that bisected the scenic Guatemalan countryside. The beautifully steep slopes were only outdone by the native Mayans who sowed the high landscape with corn and the like – all by hand and seemingly with a smile. I wasn’t quite sure where to stay nor what to expect at the “must see” destination of Lanquin but as I closed within 10K, departed the pavement and descended graveled switchbacks leading to town, I was starting to get pretty excited. With experiences now in the back pocket I can answer “must see?” with a Hellz Yeah!

The Zephyr Lodge, although a little pricey by Guatemalan standards, is an amazing place with cool staff, good food, fun travelers and convenient tour arrangements that made my visit to the area the most fun that I’ve had in Guatemala and in the top three since leaving the US. It’s hard to beat wading and swimming and scrambling thru a cave holding a lit candle with a group of fun loving international cats or watching said international cats fling themselves off rope swings, bridges and high trees into sometimes murky and sometimes crystal clear water or joining an inter-tube beer drinking expedition down a jungle river. Laughter and love is abound in Languin—check it out!

Leaving Lanquin with eyes set on Lake Atitlan, I followed a route suggested by Tom (one of two owners of Zephyr Lodge) that included 50K of vista packed, payment free dual-sport moto pleasure. Even though I did experience a “Guatemala Drift” spinout going about 20mph and had my ass in the saddle for 6hrs, the fun factor of the ride prevailed. Cheers, Tomas!

Arriving in Santa Cruz del Quiche with an hour of daylight to spare, I found economical digs and inexpensive food slingers in the nearby market that afforded full-belly sleep and enough WIFI to do some route planning (my map for Guatemala sucks and I don’t have a GPS) to the volcano rimmed Lake Atitlan. The Lake was only an hour and a half away and in spite of the cloud cover which fogged the high sections of the turdy road leading to Atitlan, I was able to able to catch a vista of the Lake—majestic jewel if I ever saw one. Once again I’m in agreement with the guide book’s “must see” moniker. Damn, she’s purdy!

Yesterday, I arrived in San Pedro la Laguna and checked into Mr. Mullet Hostel for $7 with the bonus option of being able to get a mullet haircut and win a free night – I’ll get back to you on that one. I also touched base with the French Connection and made loose plans to meet up tomorrow or the next day. Mateo and Pamela (said French Connection) have rented a small cottage on the other side of the Lake for a whole month!

Life is good, mis amigos!

 

About sneaver

Colorado: 1995 & 2013

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.