Existing Member?

Mustache South

Entry 5: Ruta del Vino to Ensenada

USA | Saturday, 28 December 2013 | Views [506] | Comments [1]

I rolled out of my bed in Tecate early, well rested, with a strong hankering for coffee and no definitive plan on where I’d be sleeping tonight. The large café that I guzzled didn’t finalize anything but I'm pretty sure that whatever I did after was done at a quicker pace. When I was rewarded by the cold shower that turned hot right after shiver fit number six, I took it as a sign that change was good and decided to make a move towards Ensenada.

MXC 3 is the highway that runs between Tecate and Ensenada and for much of the curvy, pastoral ride wine vineyards anoint the hillsides. Apart from the fact that I seemed to be the only person doing the speed limit, it was a really pleasant drive that reminded me of the Extremadura region of Spain but with more hills. Akin to dropping down off the Mogollon Rim’s southern side into the desert, popping out of the Ruta del Vino is a big change but this time it was complete with a Pacific Ocean view.

I arrived in Ensenada just after lunchtime and checked in to El Delfin hotel ($15US w/secure parking) in the heart of the town center. I had it in my mind to scratch a seafood itch and armed with a hot tip from Gary in Colorado and directions from Carlos and Ramon at The Dolphin, I ventured out in search of food that I hoped had been swimming or crawling in water moments prior to landing on my plate.

Ensenada is going to be my home for the next week or so since I enrolled in a course at the Baja California Language College that’s located here in town. So unless something spectacular happens, one can just assume that I’m chilling on the coast, eating seafood and freshening up the Spanish that I learned back in 1995 while studying in Seville.

 

PS: It’s hard to know for sure without instant replay, but I’m pretty sure that I saw a little shrimpy’s last kick just as I was reaching for the hot sauce.

 

Comments

1

Ride Captain Ride upon your Mystery ship!
Blood, sweat and corn!

  Big Earl Jan 5, 2014 4:54 AM

About sneaver

Colorado: 1995 & 2013

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.