Existing Member?

Postcards from the Parents.. Time together- museums, culture and food!

London Day 8

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 7 November 2012 | Views [229]

Walk-bus-walk-train-train-tour bus-walk-tour bus-walk-tour bus-train-train-walk-bus-walk....................

Otherwise known as a day out seeing Stonehenge, Salisbury and Old Sarum- heaps of fun but lots of travelling as you can see. Amazingly we successfully negotiated all forms of transport with ease, and only waited 5 minutes at most between each mode. We had a lovely time reading our books in our first class carriage all the way to Salisbury- we got rushed into the carriage at the station because there were so many people with big bags getting into the other carriages.

Jacqui was so excited about today- especially when we realised that the tour bus had an audio guide to tell us amazing facts about the area, and then we also got an audio guide at Stonehenge to tell us more amazing facts. We do love an audio guide- especially when there are optional extra bits to listen to (including the alien myth about Stonehenge). One of the best bits was seeing a woman who'd come dressed up as a Druid type- Jacqui thought she was an employee but I was pretty sure she had just come to soak up the atmosphere.

A quick lunch (home made soup and bagettes) and then back on the tour bus to see the castle ruins of Old Sarum. I had been there before in 1999, but actually when we arrived I had very little memory of it at all. We had a lovely time wandering around the castle ruins, watching all the people of nearby Salisbury exercising their dogs in the dog park- otherwise known as the ruins of Old Sarum Catherdral. Once again the urge to take silly photos took over- Jacqui has the evidence of those!

We were the last people to get off the tour bus- everyone else got off in the marketplace but we stayed on til the station. Jacqui started doing her own commentary but then we were treated to the last few bits of the audio tour on our own private bus. Pretty special! We then enjoyed making use of the snacks cart on the train- much nicer than the options on the China train I thought.

Home after our long travel day to make a made up stir fry with various ingredients scrounged from the fridge. Poor Wendy got home after we went to bed, trying to get everything at work finished up so she can spend the rest of the week with us. Not a fun day for her...

About sjgordo22


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.