Existing Member?

Postcards from the Parents.. Time together- museums, culture and food!

London Day 9

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 8 November 2012 | Views [200]

Our first day with Wendy on holidays too- yay! A bit of a late start leaving the flat after a late night at work for Wendy and a couple of Skype calls home to check in with the family. It's unbelievable that I've now been away for them for so long- they look so much more grown up every time I see them or talk to them. I think I'd prefer if they looked a bit more devastated that I'm not there but I'm so glad they're grown up enough to not need me so much any more. Such mixed feelings- and I'm so far away.

We decided to take Wendy to explore the Southwark area that we had scoped out last week, so off we headed just in time for lunch! We decided to see what we could find in the Borough Markets- free samples, that's what! Once wed wandered around and sampled all their wares we settled on some bagettes with a variety of hot fillings to share (chicken, lamb and holoumi) and some hot mulled wine and cider. Wendy and Jacqui then had a chaser of an empenada and we had a great coffee as well as some banana slice. Oh and also I think there was some purchase of fudge- pretty good food afternoon all round!

Filled to the brim we headed off to check out 'The Clink' prison museum. It was really well set up- spooky and disgusting and interesting in equal measure. We inducted Wendy into the taking of silly photos at London locations and had a photo taken of ourselves taken behind bars, where Jacqui managed to photo bomb all 3 of the shots.

We went searching through the alleyways to find the bone yard (that we had learnt about at the prison museum), an unconsecrated grave sites where thousands of undesirables had been buried throughout the years. Love finding things in random places that you would never go otherwise.

Next back through the alleys to show Wendy the site of the first Globe Theatre and then on to the Globe itself. We bought tickets to the tour and exhibition at the Globe- our first guided tour of anything this trip. She was actually an excellent guide, and so we happily sat in the pouring rain and heard all about the Globe and the rebuilding of it.

Then we had an hour or so to wander through the exhibition- the best bit of which was watching a class of actors learning how to fight with weapons and choreography. fascinating to see. They were extremely serious about it- no one was cracking a smile at all.

Out into the London night and over the Millenium Bridge to join all the people streaming into the tube. Caught the tube all the way back to Ealing Broadway so that Wendy could buy the ingredients for her specialty dinner of lemon prawns and pasta.

It was quite the feast- a lovely end to a foodie kind of day.

About sjgordo22


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.