Existing Member?

Steve & Helen's Great Escape

Darwin

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 17 July 2011 | Views [430]

I actually never thought that Darwin would actually turn out to be alright.  Spent the day seeing the sights of Darwin and okay I will admit it is not quite like one of the big cities but it is not bad.

Today we checked out the aquarium, well not quite an aquarium as it was essentially a place where a husband and wife team have created their own coral tanks,starting from the very bottom and finishing with the fish - according to the guy there was too many things living in the tank to count.

What I didn't appreciate before I went to Darwin was that there was a fair amount of bombing at the top end by the Japanese.  As you can imagine there was a ton of World War II history which was quite interesting.

We have just ended the day mooching through the Mindi beach markets, buying a few momentos along the way.

Off to Kakadu tomorrow to have a look at the jumping croc's (hopefully Brutus will come out to play) and to have a look at the rock paintings.

Finally I had a dream last night that Samoa beat Australia - actually maybe I was not dreaming - shocking result - all good for the world cup! (hahah)

Steve & Helen

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.