Existing Member?

Steve & Helen's Great Escape

We miss you Barry

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 16 July 2011 | Views [546]

So Barry was a nice man (can't remember his wife's name) who was next to us in the campsite for a couple of days in Derby and we managed to bump into him since in Halls Creek.  He was a nice man, always good for a story and actually helped us kill a couple of days in Derby, which in all honesty 1 hour is probably too much!

After pretty much sitting around Derby trying to kill time we finally boarded the plan for the horizontal waterfalls trip.  This again was a good trip. It was nice that we were not driving anywhere but also gave us an impression of how big and remote the area was and the beauty of the coastline.  The falls were awesome and did really look like a horizontal waterfall (be a bit fraudulent if it did not).  I can imagine why David Attenborough described them soo favourably.

There was not really much more to say until we had driven around another 1,000km to Kununnura (apart from the big crocodile which I was not too impressed with so I will not waste time telling you about it), where we caught a another flight for the Bungle Bungles tour.  The moment was not without a little bit of stress as the head pilot was apparently ill and all flights wee cancelled, however he either got better or they managed to find another pilot in town. 

The Bungle Bungles were pretty cool, looking like hundreds of stripey beehives in the middle of the desert.  The flight was also exciting for me as I got to sit in the front, returning to the school days where I wanted to be a pilot, although after spending two hours in the seat I did not have a clue of what buttons of dials to turn.

After the flight, which we had to get up at 4.30am for (this travelling lark is not easy), we ended up in a town called Batchelor, home of the large magnetic termite mounds and Litchfield national park which has some nice water holes you can swim in.  The mounds were pretty impressive, about 3 times taller than us, and apparently the termites have built their structure in a way that means they are less exposed to the sun, very clever.  Anyway I will attach some pictures for you to look at.  

Settled down for a couple of days in Darwin, which was a bit of a struggle as, and I will quote the campsite lady, "everyone comes to Darwin this time of year".  Looking forward to the rocking Darwin then, which might include a bit of fish feeding, some world war II stuff, beach market and a tour around the aquarium.

Also we now know what the definition of posh camping is.  The last spot in the Big 4 campsite (I love the Big 4's - just like the top 10 in NZ) was an on-suite powered site, and you guessed it we have our own toilet, shower and sink to use.  These simply things in life are, at this moment in time awesome.  I have thus far visited our block 5 times, with only one of them to do anything. I am thinking that I might actually sleep there tonight as I can imagine that it will be cooler than sleeping in the melting pot of the campervan.

Anyway final thing is that we are currently tracking a few days ahead of schedule so there is a strong possibility that we will be back in Sydney for the weekend.  Would be good to go out for a final beverage or two, we will keep you posted,

Steve & Helen

Big Things List

1. Cigar

2. Wool Bales

3. Lobster

4. Rocking Horse

5. Miner

6. Scotsman (Piper)

7. Goanna

8. Gohla

9. Kangaroo (SA-WA border)

10. Ram

11. Prawn (exmouth)

12. Bannana (Canarvon)

13. Marlin

14. Crocodile (not boxing - that's to come)

Also - final final point - Alex my right arm is a lot browner than the left!  Hope the toe is better and that you are keeping out of trouble

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.