Existing Member?

Steve & Helen's Great Escape

Kakadu

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 20 July 2011 | Views [332]

Just a short one this - I can hear the relief as you all read.  Spent the last couple of days in Kakadu, famous for its crocodiles and aboriginal art work.  The first day we did the Adelaide river jumping crocodiles tour and all I can say that it was brilliant.  I would never want to be in the water with a Croc.  Firstly you can not work out where there are, it is unbelievable that just disappear, calmly gliding through the water.  Secondly the shear size of them.  The biggest one that we saw was 6m's and he was called Aggro.  Apparently he is bigger than Brutus who has been on the news a fair bit.  Anyway I will upload some pictures and you can see for your self how good they were.

We spent the rest of the day at the first of two Art sites, where we saw the sun set across Kakadu which was pretty awesome, except for the fact there was around 100 people there on a tiny rock!

On the second day we checked out the Holiday Inn hotel which is built in the shape of a crocodile - pretty awesome

We then went to the second Art site which is where the famous photo has been taken from which is in all the tourist mags.  The rest of the day was spent on the Yellow river on a boat cruise, where you have guessed it we looked at some more crocs and a lot of wetland life such as a vast array of birds, water buffalo (only got a pic of it bottom unfortunately) and a pig.  Finally settled down for the night in Katherine, not a great place, especially when you try to buy some alcohol!

Went for a bit of a walk today around Katherine gorge which was nice, although really wanted to do the Kayaking (with a rudder G-Dog) but they had not done their croc count apparently, meaning that they could not ensure we would not get eaten.  Finally after stopping off at a few things in the book including some caves we have ended up at the Daly Waters pub.  Bit of an eccentric place but looking forward to my Beef & Barra from the BBQ tonight! 

Just over 3 weeks to go now, not good although we are both excited that we will be coming home soon.

Steve & Helen

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.