Existing Member?

World Travels We gotta get outta this town.... Someplace warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano....

Crazy trip to Bialystok

POLAND | Saturday, 26 September 2009 | Views [1211] | Comments [2]

Ok, a warning for the three people that actually read my journal: this post is really long so when you read it make sure you have time.

It turns out we are headed to London on Monday. We were going to stay in a friend of Ania’s place while he was home in Poland but his landlord in London decided he didn’t want someone he doesn’t know staying in the room. So we found a few places we can look at and will stay in a hostel for a night or two until we rent a place. Oh, and did I mention, we leave at 6 am Monday and Don’t get there until 1pm Tuesday. Maybe I’ll get some reading done.

We went to Bialystok on Friday to buy some things Ania needs for her job in London. I was driving and just before the mall we were headed to I got pulled over. I had apparently ran a red light that neither Ania or myself saw. The officer came to the window and did his spiel at which point I said in English, Sorry, I don’t speak Polish. Ania leaned over and talked to him and gave him the car registration and I had to give him my license and a copy of my passport. He went back to the cruiser and had a laugh with his partner. He then came back to Ania’s window and talked to her for a second. We had to follow him around the corner because we were in kind of a bad spot. When we stopped, again, we had to get out of the car. Apparently people from the United States are not legally allowed to drive in Poland. He was good about it and didn’t give us a ticket or anything and just told Ania to drive. If I did get a ticket it would have cost 1000 Zlotych. And I guess the only reason I didn’t get a ticket for running a red light, which they usually give I guess, is because I was from a different country. Wow, that was close.

So we finally get to the mall and start looking for the things Ania needs, one of which was a black pair of shoes. First of all, we pass by a store that I had previously found a really nice brown soft leather jacket I liked. Their was a sign that said 50% off so I had to go inside. The jacket I liked was only 20% off but I still had to try it on again. What is it whith coat makers making coats that only fit people if they have a huge gut. The coat was awesome other than it was way to big in the mid region. So we left so I could think about it. We went into a bunch of stores and I browsed the men’s shoes when they had them. I found this awesome pair of casual-dress shoe that was like a soft brown leather. I thought to myself if they have this in my size I’m buying them and that jacket. They would have matched perfectly. As you probably guessed by the past tense that they didn’t have my size. The stores in the mall only carry up to a size 44 or 45 that I found. The shoes I am wearing are a size 47.5. I could probably get away with a 46 because I had to buy my shoes a size bigger than normal because of how they are constructed. So that was a bummer. I wish I had still bought the jacket though. It was awesome, and cheap at 20% off. It was originally 500 Zlotych, so it would have only been 400. And with the exchange rate it would have been about $140. As I am writing this I am thinking I should go back their on Sunday and buy it before I go to London. I will keep you posted.

So then on the way home we decide to stop at this place Ania had never been for something to eat. When we drive in their is this group of kids standing in front of the door. Their were about 10 kids all between probably 19-21. Ania wanted to leave because the town we were in has kind of a bad reputation and she though the kids would give us trouble. We decided that we should give it a try. So as we are walking past the group to go inside they are talking about something. When we got inside she told me that one of the kids had asked if he should go kick my ass. Well apparently the group thought better of it because he didn’t come over. So we are standing inside looking at the menu on the wall in the corner, next to the bar. The kids come and stand at the bar cornering us in. I though, great, I’m gunna have to see how well Jared has trained me and kick these kids asses. Seriously, they were young, drunk, and all really small. I honestly don’t think it would have been that hard. Then all of a sudden Ania wanted to leave, which we did, making me believe they were still talking about kicking my ass. We went outside and got in the car when the kids came back outside. Luckily for them they weren’t stupid enough to pull anything.

Gold Stars for my mom and my brother who actually commented last time.

Happy Birthday Brandon. I hope you are having a good one.

I guess that’s all I wanted to say. I wrote this once but the webpage timed out on me and I lost it all. I got smart and wrote it in word then pasted it to my journal.

Tags: bialystok

Comments

1

Lol Wacky Polish adventures....brilliant! haha

  Jon Mott Sep 27, 2009 3:49 AM

2

Did you get the jacket? Post pictures of London...What is Ania doing for a job in London? Is she moving there?

It was a nice night at Brandon's. I did pretty good at Ladder ball. Missed you.

Keep writing. No driving. and I'm glad you didn't have to use your "training". Love you.

  mom Sep 29, 2009 6:42 AM

About sirus


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Poland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.