Existing Member?

Travelin Tales a journey of rocks, dust and probably lots of animal poo..........

Day #8 - D-Day (oh hang-on! maybe D-Day Eve)

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 6 October 2019 | Views [239]

Laboche (4910m) > Gorakshep (5140m)

Todays starts out like every day. Cold, Exciting, Daunting and full of hope. The plan today is to hike to Gorakshep and have 'lunth' and then climb to Everest Base Camp.

Again though, it's a slow climb. Sooooooo many people passed me, kinda heartbreaking. The hawaiians, the Noreweigen girl, the Dutch guy, the Amercican Bro & Sis, the random Aussie i spoke with about Beer-o-Clock, the SydneySiders, The French couple... arrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh it's sould crushing.

Ann is way out ahead as per usual, but today Courts is really feeling it. Bad for her, but for the first time on the trek I have someone to walk with. (Kinda at least). For the most part, the battle really is solitary. But today of all days it's nice to have your sister around to share in the absurdity of it all. Then Lady E shows herself, for actually most of the morning walk. She's peaking out of behind Lhotse, and most people are not even aware. But I've had her shape in my head for over a year and can pick her out. from this angle of course shes doendt look like the tallest, but it's all about persepective.

Theres another top sound of Nepal today: the sound of avalanches and rock slides. Iweirdly sound like distant gun fire. You hear it amd madly swing around to try and see where it is. It's spookily like trying to rubber neck to see a car crash. But also of course - you need to check your safety. We are also walking beside the rather impressive Khumbu Glacier - it is quite something to see and again be enveloped by the glory of the Himalayas. We can also see mountain peaks above 7000m that sit in Tibet. We really are amoungst it.

And just like that, Courts and I decend into Gorakshep - late. Later than we would like. I think theres been a decision made. Courts and I won't attempt EBC until tomorrow, when we are well feed, warm and renewed. Ann will do it this afternoon with Kumar. Poor Kumar. Now he has to do it twice.

#KumarsAGun

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.