Existing Member?

Travelin Tales a journey of rocks, dust and probably lots of animal poo..........

Day #1 - St Bees > Ennerdale Bridge (14 miles)

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 4 August 2018 | Views [288]

I think I have a dent in my head.... Who's idea was this anyway?

So day #1 and I wake up like a 5 year old on Christmas morning - almost 2 hours early - and can't get back to sleep. Oh well, I'll make use of the time by repacking my day-pack for the 100th time - cos' it sure needs it... NOT. Happy with the contents (no alterations made) I shower and head down to brekky.

I'm the first to arrive of course followed by a couple - from Melbourne of course. I woof down my eggs and sort my luggage for the luggage carriers (yep they are moving my luggage from each B&B to the next! Whoop whoop!)

I head off nervous and excited all at once - heading first to the beach to cover off on a couple of traditions. I have to 'wet my boots' in the Irish Sea at the start of the hike, select a pebble from the beach to carry with me and deposit at Robin Hoods Bay beach (at the end of the walk) and take a 'selfie' at the 'Start of the Coast to Coast' sig?n.

TICK TICK TICK

Annnnnd I'm off!

First up a steep climb to South Head beautiful scenery (can actually see it today - yesterday it was pouring when I got in). I can clearly see the Isle of Man across the Sea - but I'm careful not to look out to see whilst walking as I'm walking along the edge of a 300ft cliff drop. It's fine weather today - 17 degrees or so - slightly overcast - perfect hiking conditions - but I can't imagine navigating this in bad weather - one slip and bye bye.today I have 14 miles to hike - sounds simple but I have one of the steepest ascents and decents to do - yeah - on day 1! The day is going to be 50% hills and 50% flats - that's Cumbria for you!

I follow the cliff edge around and then inland for Sandwith, Moor Row and Cleator. All small and quaint villages. I'm 9 mile in at this point - 5 to go. I can feel that my feet have some 'hot spots' already - so I investigate and have to apply some plasters.... Sorry Band-Aids... Been here 2 minutes and am already 'englished'.

Now, for that big hill. Dent Hill 353m right? Nothing on the almost 6000m I've climbed befire, but this is steep. GRRRR. Sweaty town has arrived and I'm now sweating at a rate that sees salt crystals forming on my eyebrows. Amberlee! You know of what I speak! It takes me forever to summit and when I do I lie down at to top and watch the sky for a bit catching !y breath. Fitter people almost have to step over me as they summit. When I finally get up - I take in the views. Fabulous. Dent Hill - you put a dent in my enthusiasm momentarily until you showed me your face. The stroll along the top is breathtaking.... and just as I was getting into it - you took my breath away with your decent. Such a steep decent, I take it sooooooo slowly - don't want to dent my head. Annnnnd I'm down. Lord knows how long that took me, forgot to look at my watch, more important to focus on not dying....

Strolling over the picturesque Nannycatch Beck, it doesn't take long until I hit Ennerdale Bridge. Phew. Day 1 down, 14 to go? I think I've earned a shandy - time to find a pub. Tomorrow sees me hiking 15 miles. Will read up on that tonight. I have an even bigger 597m to climb - but not as steep. It may sound like I'm not enjoying it -: especially the physical part but my heart and soul are 100% in as always with me, just what I need to rebalance my life.

Ok - I'm off to find my B&B and get some stretches in.

PS - warning warning massive Saturday night in store for me - my B&B has a bath! I'm skipping dinner for a soak in that baby instead! Ni night!

Tags: trekking

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.