Existing Member?

Nomadic Hands

IN LIMA WITH CESAR

PERU | Friday, 30 May 2008 | Views [534]

Cesar, his mother and his uncle standing in front of the entance to their home. (the little door behind them)

Cesar, his mother and his uncle standing in front of the entance to their home. (the little door behind them)

I share a bedroom with Cesars mother, which has a sheet of plastic separating us, a concrete floor, and a tin roof. It's morning, and the light is slipping through the giant gaps above the cardboard thin sheet door. Thank goodness it never rains in Lima.

I slept last night, but to the sound of peircing truck horns every 30 seconds, incredibly loud engines churning every 2, and with the happy tooting melody of a car horn thrown in between. I wonder if my laundry is dry?

Last night, between chatting to Cesar in a major trial of 95% Spanish, and heading downstairs to try and flush the toilet that just wouldn't flush everything, I managed to get my filthy laundry done... wait... I just heard a rooster call!!

LATER IN THE DAY...

I finally realised that there are a couple of roosters in the backyard.  I don't have a watch, so this could come in handy. Plus there's also about 15 guinnea pigs in a cage next to the roosters. Speaking of animals, Cesar's sister also introduced me to their cat's new born baby kittens... sooooo cute!

The rest of the day consisted of us exploring the city, which included seeing about 25,000 skeletons in a dungeon and learning about the history and culture of Lima.

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.