Existing Member?

CWC07and beyond

Barbados

BARBADOS | Sunday, 22 April 2007 | Views [596]

Our final stop on the Carribean tour is Barbados.  We couch surfed the first night with a Canadian Expat.  He was lovely gave us a free night of Accom, but was hard work to make conversation with so we were happy to move into our house in Oistins.

The house was 5 minutes walk from Miami Beach, one of the most beautiful beaches we have seen and with some nice waves to body surf.  Amazing torquise water and snow white sand.

Barbados was great because it had the Carribean feel of the other islands, but improved infrastructure such as public buses etc and much cleaner.  It did have the touristy parts like Antigua but we were in amoungst the locals a lot more which was great.

2 days at the cricket.  The first was Ireland v Bangladesh (it was ment to be India v Pakistan!) Should have been a boring game but when you get given 3 leprechaun suits from departing Irishmen, then you have to party up a storm.  Yes we were token Irish for the day and no doubt were on the TV cos we jumped around like mad men.  Had a cracking day, finished at Harbour lights where Sheepy thought it would be  a good idea to dance barefooted on the dance floor, sure I was there next to him doing the same thing but I didnt get a 2cm cut in my foot.  So his night ended in emergency getting 2 stitches, ours ended with a soppy U2 sing along.  Bono would be ashamed!

Second game of cricket was West Indies v Bangladesh (our most seen team, damn you india!) The west Indies were boring and pathetic but still managed to win.  Boring but we kept our spirits high with our much loved rum punch, Mount Gay rum and more of the major sponsors fine products.  Then to the party stand after party where they had pool vollyball and belly dancers.  What more can you want.  Then to St Laurences Gap, the touristy part of town for $12 US, all you can drink, more coconut rum and crazy dancing. The next day we were all pretty seedy, but Matty scott was a disgrace!  He was "sick" on the porch, in his bed, then for the next 15 hours as we flew to NY.  What  a mess!  Ive seen sorry looking men but that is the worst Ive ever seen, not helped by two hours in the US customs line grrr.  Its ok though, he is still alive.

We did see some of the island, Bridgetown was nice but mundane but we hired scooters for a day.  After a hairy trip out of town (non of us had ridden before!) we got the hang of it and powered on to a nature walk then to the beach where we were lucky enough to swim with 4 sea turtles.  Amazing! Amazing! Couldnt get enough! That was a great day.

There was plenty of time lazying around, I think the month had caught up with us.  This leg is over but it couldnt have gone better.  Now in New York so will try and get some photos up for you to see!

Tags: Party time

About simon_castles


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Barbados

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.