Existing Member?

Sea Sun Friends Freedom

Getting Ready

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 29 July 2009 | Views [554]

Couple of recent photos of a sail to Queenscliffe from Blairgowrie (im on the beanbag on the left with Bec and Jim). Now this is how i like to do my sailing!
Heaps of things to do. Every time I get a boat ready for a long voyage I remember how much work it is. Luckily i love it as its great for the boat and gives you peace of mind when you are in the ocean. NowI'm down to the final few things and will have most of the work done by this weekend. Cath has been down the last couple of Saturdays with sandpaper and dishcloths in her hands.
The crew on different legs are reddying themselves. Mick Walpole and Bob Barker will be on the first leg accross to Eden where Mick will head home and Elise will be onboard to Sydney. Elise will be taking the Silver Lady crash course in sailing with it being her first time on an ocean passage. I can remember like yesterday my first ocean passage. Lying in a bunk with a lightning storm around us all night wondering if i would ever survive. Reflecting on this, although Iwas nervous, I felt truly alive and for the first time in a long time was living my life how Iwanted.
I have sailed with my good mate Bob Barker for over 10 years. infact allmost all serious ocean passages i have done have been with Bob by my side. Bob and his wife Joan live on board 'Dreamtime' in Queensland . See http://www.argen.org/dreamtime/ for more info. I have sailed with Mick on a lot of trips around the bay and Bass Straight, Including a circumnavigation of Tasmania. Its great for me as a skipper to be able to sleep soundly when off watch having people whos company I enjoy and trust looking after boat and crew.
We generally take 3 - 4 people on each leg. I have not looked for a fourth person for the legs but usually someone puts their hand up for a sail.
Leaving one week tomorrow......

About silverlady


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.