Existing Member?

Sea Sun Friends Freedom

Count Down

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 6 August 2009 | Views [481]

Boat is ready! Crew is Ready! Nature is Angry.......
Last time we ocean sailed in big winds was two years ago. The top photo is us at the start of the Lord Howe Island Race that left from Pittwater in NSW. It blew 40 knots for three days with gust of 50 knots at times. That was in the Tasman Sea that is a lot deeper and more predictable than Bass Straight. The boat did it easily. The crew had had enough!
Bureau of Meteorology forecast for tomorrow is as follows: Friday:Winds: Northwesterly 35 to 45 knots shifting west to southwesterly 30 to 45 knots during the early morning with squalls to 55 knotsnear the change. Winds tending west to southwesterly 20 to 30 knots by early evening. Seas: Up to 6 metres decreasing to 5 metres around midday then decreasing to 4 metres during the afternoon. Swell: Westerly 2 to 4 metres increasing to 3 to 5 metres in the morning then increasing to up to 6 metres late in the morning then decreasing below 3 to 5 metres from midday. Isolated thunderstorms until late afternoon.
we have no intention of going into the Ocean with squalls of 55 knots. As with most weather fronts, as soon as it goes through the wind and seas should drop straight off. Plan is to catch the tide from Hastings at about 2pm and head down to Flinders until front has passed through. if we hook into the back of this front we should have a pretty tame sail to Eden.
Seems like every time you leave for a trip in Bass Straight you go through the weather analysis torture.

About silverlady


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.